82

LOU'S POV:

Diane had caught a cold out of nowhere, a cold that she was probably going to give me at some point. A cold that ruined our weekend plans, one of the few weekends before we were free from this complicated scenery.

But Dee had a fever, a runny nose, cough, and she also had a collection of heating pads, heating pads that I had to fill and then accommodate on her feet, but I loved doing it.

And as much as I wanted to get out of town with Diane and go to Boston to visit her sister, I was now preparing my girlfriend a lemonade that would help her sore throat. - We had planned this weekend for a couple weeks now, we were going to stay in an airbnb and we would visit Sophie together, I'd be there to keep Diane from punching Sophie's husband and be pretty.

Soon I was done with her lemonade and I took it over to her bedside table, walking slowly through the corridor hoping not to drop the glass from my shaking hands. Diane was wrapped up in the bed covers, her hair up in a messy bun, her nose red from the cold, and her eyes half closed from the tiredness this cold had brought onto her.

"Just a few more months," She said, her voice raspy from the cold.

"Hm?" I sat on the edge of the bed and looked down to her.

"A few more months until I can officially call you mine." She smiled a bit, drunken in flu.

"Dee, It's not like we're getting married, chill." I chuckled, caressing her cheek with my thumb.

She sniffed, "We could though. You'd be Mrs. Williams." She said, a smile forming on her lips.

"Be quiet and drink your lemonade." I said, brushing off the mention of marriage.

"I don't wanna." She whined and wrapped herself even more around the covers and blankets, as if she was disappearing into them.

"Yes you wanna." I rolled my eyes and grabbed the glass, bringing it closer to Diane. "Come on, take a sip. I put honey in it."

"No you didn't." She said turning her head towards the pillow.

"Yes I did." I said, "Come on."

"Only if you kiss me." Her five year old voice said from the depths of her bed.

I groaned, "Diane, no. We talked about this. I'm having finals and I have to be very healthy for them, I can't get the flu right now." I said attempting to grab her chin and make her look up at me.

"On the cheek?" she insisted.

I rolled my eyes and kissed her forehead instead, "Done, now drink this."

Eventually my charms worked and she drunk the whole thing, wincing and acting as if it was sour, when we both knew she couldn't taste a thing anyway. I brought her some Kleenex because I could hear how congested she had become.

"I never get colds. I hate colds." Diane said, coughing a bit before drinking her cough medicine.

Eventually she was asleep in bed with a stuffed animal (which I didn't know it existed) squeezed in her arms. I shut off the curtains cautiously and made my way out of the room, I needed to get a break from all that contaminated air.

So I went to the backyard and sat down on the small staircase, and took a deep breath. It's not like we're getting married... Although maybe if I was Diane's age I would like if there was a marriage in a close future. It wouldn't be so bad, would it?

Did Diane ever think of getting married? Or marrying me?

The 'Mrs. Williams' part just did something to me. - I wouldn't mind being officially Diane's, or wearing a ring that had her name on it... but the responsibilities that would come with it got me anxious.

Being her wife meant more than just being with her forever, it was a whole lot of responsibilities, decisions we would have to make, a routine, a lifestyle.

Maybe I was warming my head up over nothing.

But besides all those things that got me anxious, there would be a lot of good things. Being with each other forever, sharing memories, important dates, learning from each other, getting to call her my wife, and all the honeymoon sex...

Soon my thoughts were interrupted by the sound of Diane's cough. She was awake again, and the sun had gone down over the hours I spent freezing in the backyard.

I got inside the house quickly, closing the door behind me. I turned on a lamp and made my way back to Diane's bedroom. She had turned on her bedside table lamp and was blowing her nose as she coughed from time to time before she saw me standing in the doorway.

"I bet you're not turned on by me at all right now." Diane giggled, blowing her nose one more time before getting cozy in bed.

I walked inside the room and sat on the edge of the bed, "It is kind of sexy knowing I definitely have all the power right now, considering your situation."

"I'm hopeless." She winked an eye at me, "Very hopeless."

"Dee, as much as you try to seduce me for a kiss, I won't fall for it. I need a perfect health for next week." I smiled down at her, brushed a strand of hair off of her face.

She grunted and whined like a little puppy before hugging her stuffed animal again. It was a duck with a leaf hat on. I wondered where the hell she got that.

I tried on the thermometer on her, no temperature. "How are you feeling?" I asked, caressing the top of her head.

She sniffed, "Not great, but a little better."

"That's good. Maybe you should try to sleep a bit more."

"Would you nap with me?" She looked up at me from the covers, batting her eyelashes.

I had to say yes. I wouldn't be able to resist physical touch with her after all. So I got in bed with her and spooned her from behind. Her skin was warm, and her hair still smelled like her shampoo.

"I'm sorry if I freaked you out with the wife thing." She whispered.

I bit my lip from talking.

"I know you're awake." She said after a silent couple seconds.

I closed my eyes and sighed, "It's fine."

"I didn't mean anything by it." Diane said.

It kind of hurt hearing that. Deep down I wanted it to mean something, to mean that she at least thought of me once or twice being her wife.

"Okay." I whispered, and kissed her shoulder before trying to fall asleep as I held her.