Chapter 24

Another person.
Gone.
Just like that.
Everyone came rushing out to see Dale on the ground almost lifeless and me bawling on the porch.

I watched as Daryl went up to Dale to put him out of his misery.
"Wait!" I yelled before Daryl stabbed him.

"I'll do it."
I grabbed my knife.

"Dale. I'm so sorry. This is all my fault if only I payed attention to you.
You wouldn't be dying right now.
I'm so sorry." I sobbed as
I stabbed him in the head.
I sobbed until the men finally said we had to move him.
Dad and Daryl went to dig hole for Dale.

When Everything was ready we all went around the dirt mound.

"Dale could get under your skin. He sure got under mine because he wasn't afraid to say exactly what he felt that kind of honesty is rare. And brave. Whenever I'd make a decision I'd look at Dale and he'd look right back at me with that look he had. We've all seen it one time or another.
I could always read him but he could read us. He saw people for who they are. He knew things about us. The truth. Who we really are.
In the end he was talking about losing our humanity. He said this group is broken. The best way to honour him is to unbreak it. Set aside our differences and pull together. Stop feeling sorry for ourselves. Take control of our lives. Our safety. Our future. We're not broken. We are gonna prove him wrong. From now on we're gonna do it his way. That is how we honor Dale." Dad said and my eyes teared up

Everyone just stood there in shock.

"I miss him already." I mumbled.
I went to the porch and sat on a chair.

"It was my fault." Carl came up to me and said.
"I went into the woods and saw a walker. I hit it with stones until it got loose and I ran back."

"Carl none of this is your fault. If we're blaming people, It's mine." I said.

"What? How?" Carl asked.
"I wasn't paying attention to Dale and he walked away. I turned around when he screamed and I killed the walker. If I was paying attention he wouldn't be dead!"

Carl sighed and walked back inside.

I lied down on the swing on the porch and fell asleep.