𝗉𝗋𝗈𝗅𝗈𝗀𝗎𝖾

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

❛ ᴏғ ᴍᴏɴsᴛᴇʀs & ᴍᴇɴ​​​​​​​​​​. ❜ ° . ༄
- ͙۪۪˚   ▎❛ 𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄 ❜   ▎˚ ͙۪۪̥◌
»»————- ꒰ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ ɪs ɴᴏᴛ
ᴍᴀɢɪᴄ ɴᴜᴍʙᴇʀ ꒱

❝ WERE YOU STARING AT THE
SCAMANDER BOY AGAIN

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

By all accounts, Lyra and Newt's relationship should not have lasted as long as it had. With so many factors opposing them it was somewhat of a miracle they'd been friends at all.

They initially met on the train on the way to their first year at Hogwarts and shared a compartment because Lyra had gotten there late and everywhere else had been full. This was the first moment where their friendship should have failed: if it hadn't been for the dark-haired girl noticing the cover of the book he'd been reading, they wouldn't have spoken for the entire ride.

Newt, of course, was not considered to be extremely social (if one was to put it kindly.) After how many times his brother had called him annoying he was rather reluctant to start any conversations of his own accord. Lyra, on the other hand, was as outgoing and loud as they came but the boy hadn't given off an air of responsiveness so she kept quiet and fidgeted in her seat as she stared out the window at the passing scenery.

It was only when the trolley witch came around that she turned her gaze inward long enough to study him properly as she ate the sweets she had purchased. The curly-haired boy kept his gaze on his book and tried to ignore the curiosity in her eyes as he read. Eventually his efforts proved futile as she abruptly held out one of her treats. "Pumpkin pasty?"

His eyes flicked up to meet hers briefly— even less than a second— before they went right back to the page as he mumbled, "no thanks."

"What do you like, then?"

Newt shrugged. "Nothing."

Lyra stared at him. "You don't like sweets at all?"

He shook his head, which was easier than verbally answering, in the hopes she'd stop talking. He had no such luck, however, as her next question was: "what's that you're reading?"

Unwilling to actually ignore her, he lifted the front of his book up so she could read the title for herself. Unfortunately for him, the action elicited a bright exclamation from her. "You like the magical natural world too?"

This caught his interest and he glanced up briefly again. "Too?"

Lyra nodded enthusiastically as she unwrapped her dessert. "My mum's a herbologist." More thoughtfully— and with a now-full mouth— she added, "I think that's why I liked plants so much."

The next stumbling point in their early friendship would be only hours later: Newt would be Sorted into Hufflepuff while Lyra was sent to Gryffindor, two Houses that hardly ever crossed paths.

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───

Somehow— though it was more Lyra's persistent and insistent presence then Newt actively seeking her out— they managed to stick together through the whole of their first year. Despite his half-answers and lack of conversation, Lyra seemed to like him for some reason. She would abandon her Gryffindor friends for him and she managed to find him no matter where he took refuge in the castle. And— although her actions continued to utterly bemuse him— he grew to accept and even appreciate her constant efforts.

On her part, Lyra wasn't entirely sure why she liked the quiet Hufflepuff boy so much except for the fact that he was so very different from anyone she'd ever known. She'd never met someone so quiet or socially awkward as him but there was something endearing and unforgettable about his demeanor. By the end of their second year, she was willing to admit that she would skip any Quidditch match with her friends just for a few quiet hours with him, and that's what confused her the most: why on Earth would she long to do something so completely against her nature?