fifteen

chapter fifteenof requited passion

Arabella began the day with a bath, a steaming basin of water filled with fresh petals of lilacs and lilies. She had been staring at the flowers floating in the water for a large period of time, her mind clouded with what could have happened the following night in the Viscount's study if he had not pulled away.

She understood the passion her friend, Sophie had once spoke about. The craving and yearning for that kind of affection. Arabella wished for nothing more then for the Viscount to be shirtless sitting in front of her with his hand on her thigh. Her mind was constantly else where, a place she'd never been before; His bed. Arabella's dreams were flashes of what she imagined his bare chest would look like and the feeling of his fingers on her waist.

Arabella shook her head lightly and realised a great deal of time had passed to the point where her hands were wrinkly. She stepped out of the hot bath with the help of her maid and got dressed into a lilac gown, to fit the theme of the day.

Violet had alerted Arabella that there was nothing on the agenda for today, so the girl decided to pay a visit to her friend Sophie, to inquire about what she should do next about the events of last night and to simply catch up as the two girls have no seen each other in weeks.

Arabella ascended the stair case and walked past the Viscount who made no attempt to talk to the girl, she waved to the Viscountess before walking out the door with a maid. 

"Where is she going?" He asked. She looked at him with a small smile and said she was going to visit a friend, which only sparked more curiosity for the young Viscount, but he kept his mouth shut knowing his mother would ask questions as to why he was so curious about her all of a sudden considering she had no witnessed the two of them interacting at all in the time Arabella had been a guest in their house.

Arabella's carriage neared Sophie's and she grew nervous, unsure of how her friend would react to her confession. She saw Sophie standing outside her house with a big smile on her face. Suddenly the nerves had vanished and Arabella raced out of her carriage and ran to hug the other young girl.

"Darling," Sophie said throwing her arms around Arabella in a tight embrace, "Come, I have much to tell you," The two girls walked up the stairs with a quick hello to Marianne.

"Sit," Sophie said, directing Arabella to her bed. Arabella took a seat and smiled up at Sophie, "I am engaged," She said gleefully, showing her ring to Arabella. There on her finger sat a majestic, large stone, white in colour.

Arabella's face lit up, in complete surprise and happiness. She stood up hastily and hugged her best friend again, "Oh my god," She squealed.

The two girls held each others hands and spun around in a circle, in complete joy. "To whom?" Arabella asked as they calmed down and took a seat once again on the plush mattress.

"Thomas Daugherty," Sophie said, "Sorry I must reiterate, Earl Thomas Daugherty,".

"Earl Daugherty?" Arabella asked bewildered, she was unsure as to whether Sophie was lying or not, "The man we used to jest about because of his obsession of younger maidens when his age is 3 times theirs?"

"Well, I suppose yes," Sophie said, worried of her friends reaction.

"I am truly happy for you Sophie, but he is old," Arabella said.

"Exactly my point," Sophie gleamed, "Mother pressures me to marry and so I make my choice, his hair is Gray and his beard fickle but his fortune is great in size and he is a caring man. He will also soon be too preoccupied in work to pay attention to me so our lives shall be separate in nature and I shall be free to do as I please,"