Prologue

"You can not stop change anymore than you can stop the suns from setting".                       Shmi Skywalker

❆ ❆ ❆

"Oriel, supper is ready honey, come eat." Oriel heard her mother's (Charmaine) voice ring through the small communicator that was clipped to her chest, or as she liked to call it, a walkie-talkie.

"Okay mum, I'll be five minutes tops." Oriel spoke back through and turned to her best friend, Averill. "I have to go eat now, but I should see you tomorrow." Oriel smiled and mounted her tauntuan that she had named Ullr.

"Alright then. Bye Oriel, and Happy Birthday." Averill said sweetly back. Today was Oriels seventh birthday and she had just finished playing with Averill on the amazing snow obstacle course the two had been building for a long time.

Averill and Oriel lived on planet Hoth their entire life, their parents both came to the planet seeking refuge, Oriel's parents from Coruscant and Averill's from Kesh, that's what gave her skin that wonderful purple colour.

❆ ❆ ❆

Oriel was happily eating her hoosh that her mother had made for her supper, wrapped in a nice red blanket her mother had knitted for her while she sat next to the fireplace that matched her fiery, red coloured hair.

That's when she heard a knock on the heavy, wooden door to their small igloo they called home. This was the beginning of the end of her normal life.

Her mother opened the door and invited their guests inside while Oriel kept under her blanket, hidden, but her ears were tuned to the conversation going on behind her.

"Please, just one more year I beg you." Charmaine pleaded to their guests Oriel had not yet seen but she already knew who they were.

They had come last year on her birthday and the year before. Each time her mother would plead to them for more time but time for what, she didn't know.

"Your pain, I feel ma'am, but too old, she is and long enough, we have waited." Oriel heard a old and wise voice say.

There was a long pause and something in her felt uneasy like she was put under a microscope. Oriel slowly pulled the red blanket just below her eyes and saw a small green man with pointy ears and caring eyes looking towards her.

She also saw her mother staring at her as well with tear filled eyes and sad smile on her face like she was trying to convince herself like this was a good thing. Whatever this was.

"Come here, young one." The green man spoke calmly. Oriel slowly made her way towards him and he began to speak.

"Yoda, my name is. Come to start teaching you, I have." Yoda smiled sweetly at Oriel, but she just looked back at him as if he had spoken in riddles, which he kind of had.

"Pardon me sir, but I don't know what you mean." Oriel asked taking a seat next to her mother, facing Yoda.

"Special, you are. Heard of Jedi, have you?" Yoda asked in a matter of fact way but not coming across as rude.

"Yes. I believe they are powerful people who can move things with their minds and they can fight the evil with laser swords!" Oriel said excitedly, recounting the many stories she had been told about the Jedi and their greatness.

Yoda chuckled a bit at the girls statement. "Right you are young one. Start somewhere, those powerful people have to. Start somewhere, you must too." It took her a second to understand but once she did her jaw dropped.

"Wait. Does this mean I'm to become a Jedi?" Oriel exclaimed excitingly while Yoda nodded her head. Her excitement stopped however, when she looked at her mother.