Chapter 2

As I open my eyes I realize that it's not bright outside yet. It's still dark and it feels like I only took a small nap. I hate this feeling. The clock on the wall shows me that it's 3am. What was I thinking to expect that I'd sleep through the whole night on my first night here. Of course my thoughts wouldn't let me sleep for too long. It's impossible.

I sigh and get up. My head feels heavy and I'm dehydrated. Most importantly, I feel lost.

I walk to the big window and open the curtains. I have a great view over the front yard. The car we came in is still standing there and the men are also standing there, armed, as if they're protecting the government. It's scary because it means they're there all the time. How important must this man or this place be to be protected so strictly? There's no chance to sneak out and just leave this place. That's why I give up on that for now and make my way to the door. I need to find the kitchen to drink some water or he'll find me all dried up, only bones left in the morning.

I start tiptoeing through the cold hallway and now I realize why he was carrying me all the way here. I'm not wearing any shoes, socks or slippers. It's really thoughtful of him, yet so rude that he had to rush this so badly that I couldn't even put some clothes on.

The floor is so cold that I'm sure walking barefoot here will make me sick. My tummy is already aching. Maybe it's because this hallway is scary. It's dark, cold and so silent that I'm starting to feel uncomfortable. That's why I decide to go back. I can survive a night without water. I'm sure that I'll find some in the morning. It's not like he'll let me suffer or starve. He said he would take care of me and that's the bare minimum for doing this to me but I will not be ungrateful.

I turn around to go back but bump into someone. It's him. Totally surprised I gasp and cover my mouth with my hand because the gasp was so loud. It feels like I could wake up the walls, if I'm too loud.

"What are you doing here? Sneaking around?" he asks and gets me nervous. I can see that he's not amused by me being here. He's right. I have no business being here. In this hallway, in that room, in this mansion.

"You said I'm allowed to leave my room..." I mumble. He's so intimidating when he's standing so tall and looking down at me that I can barely speak. It will go on like this until I start to understand him or figure out how his brain works. Or what he wants from me... It's obvious that he has plans and I hate that I'm a part of them.

"That doesn't mean you can sneak around while everyone is sleeping." he must think that I'm trying to run away or looking for something to steal or something that I can use against him but that's now how it is. Sneaking around.

"So what are you doing here?" he asks. I swallow. It's unbearable how he's pushing me to the edge by just asking me questions. He's making me impatient. "I can't sleep and I got thirsty." I explain and start shaking but it's not because of the cold. It's because of him. Earlier he didn't seem that scary because it wasn't cold and dark in that room. He looked like a normal human being and now he seems like a big shadow that's talking. That shadow gets closer to me. So close that I can feel his warmth. I shiver. That shadow is laying heavy on me.

"Why are you scared of me?" he asks, as if it's not obvious. As if he didn't kidnap me and forces me to stay here now until he solved his problems with my father. Obviously he doesn't realize that this is not normal to the most people, especially not to me. I was raised behind big walls and gates, with nannies that took care of me and homeschooling. I shouldn't even get close to men like him and that's why I don't know how to handle it. It's hard for me to figure out what to do when my peace is at cost and everything is unbalanced.

His dark voice gives me goosebumps but I don't want him to think that he has me in his hands. "I'm not." I'm a terrible liar. Even my voice is shaking and giving away how nervous I am and I hate myself for that. I've never been a good liar because I never felt the need to.