Chp.17 | A Day in the Life of Xiao

He didn't have school tomorrow, this would be a pain. He turned over on his side, the light from the window made him glow a bright yellow. His monotone expression didn't really say much.

He hated weekends. For one reason only..That is, he had to be at home.

Don't get him wrong, he loves his mom, of course. Normally in this situation, any child would end up hating both of their parents.

And that's true for Xiao—well, half way. For some reason, he feels bad for his mother. The reason she acts the way she does is stress. And, it's Xiao's mother after all.

He lacks understanding tones and such, so it's obvious he wouldn't understand that that wasn't a reason to justify his mother's actions at all.

He wanted to see Venti, but was also too nervous to ask first. Besides, what if his mother found out? We all know what happened last time.

He reached for his phone, and before long, a sweet toon began to play from his playlist. This music hugged his ears, giving him a warm reassurance.

He felt he was in complete and utter bliss as the soft, quiet notes played. The monotone voice speaking, and the fact was, he related to this song entirely.

He didn't listen to music much, but when he did, it was almost always the same song on practically repeat. He just couldn't get sick of it.

He wanted to get Venti's opinion on it—but maybe Venti wouldn't like it very much. He was so worried on messing up with this whole friend thing, that he hasn't reached out first to Venti even once.

He sighed, running his fingers along to curves and crinkles of his spotlessly white bed sheets.

As he lied there on his side, he'd ended up falling asleep. His last thought before his eyes closed shut, was Venti.

-

Xiao shot up, checking the time.

5:09 am

Had he really slept for the entire day? He didn't even get dinner. But, maybe that was for the best.

He should probably go and eat something, since his mom is most likely at work now. Hopefully, she wouldn't have wanted to stay out with her friends at yet another bar.

Xiao frowned, he felt sorry.

Before long, Xiao stepped foot off his bed and got ready quickly. He wore casual clothing. A black sweater with some knee high gray shorts. As well as some ankle high socks.

He quickly put his hair into place and walked downstairs.

This time of the day was always nice on weekends. Probably the only nice time of day, actually. He could just sit and eat breakfast peacefully, without any disturbance..from practically anything except the birds that would chirp to their hearts content outside.

Xiao wouldn't really call that a disturbance, though. He didn't mind the birds speaking to one another.

-

He made a quick breakfast, just some frosted mini wheats. The only kind of cereal Xiao could tolerate, really. Even if it was a bot surgery, Xiao liked the texture.

He let out a yawn, getting his phone as he stretched a bit. Just then, he'd gotten a text message.

-

VENTI: Hi Xiao 👨‍🦲👨‍🦲☺️

Xiao: What does the hairless emoji mean?

VENTI: bald

Xiao stared blankly at the screen.

VENTI: 👨‍🦲👨‍🦲

Xiao: Right..

VENTI: Wanna hang out today?

Seriously? Again? Why did Venti want to hang out with him so much—for some reason, that question made Xiao feel a bit warm.

Xiao: Ok

VENTI YEAA OKOK
VENTI: Let's go to the park

Xiao: The one near your house?

VENTI: Yes that one

Xiao: But isn't that a children's park?

VENTI: ....

Xiao: Uhm

VENTI: It'll be fun, I promiseeee

Xiao: Fine

VENTI: OO OK MEET ME THERE IN 10

-

Although Xiao's clothes were more 'comfortable' rather than 'presentable', all he did was slip his shoes on and walk out of the door.

He's only been to a children's park once, his dad took him. Although, it was a little to late, since he was a teenager at the time.

As a kid, he seen a lot of them in movies. So, he already knew what most of them looked like. It wasn't that 'ancient'.

-

He let out a small huff. Although he kept a steady pace, he'd gotten there 5 minutes early.

He looked around, taking in the surroundings on either side of him.

Everything was bright, and wood chips were every where. Not only on the ground, but also on the playground equipment. Like the slides, and those weird spinning chair things.

There were a lot of children playing. Some of the adults talking to each other on the benches looked at him weird. Probably because he was a teenager, without a little sibling with him, standing silently at a children's park.

Not the best look there.

He got his phone out again.

-

Xiao: People are looking at me weird.

VENTI: WHAT
VENTI: UR ALRSDY THERE??

Xiao: Yes

VENTI: OK, ILL JUST RUN THEN IG

Xiao: ok

VENTI: SE E U THERE

Xiao: ok

He slipped his phone back into his pocket.

He has to admit, over these past few days where he's been texting Venti—pretty much everyday; is the most he's ever texted someone in his life.

Xiao doesn't talk to many people online, especially since his mother had always warned him about talk to strangers online.

You're probably wondering,'But this is in school, so Xiao can just get phone numbers from his piers.'

That's—not the case at all. Xiao isn't really interested in anyone, and everyone's too scared to even come up to him. So, he's only ever exchanged contact info with Venti.

He definitely doesn't regret it being his first, though.

WORD COUNT ; 959

A/N; sorry if this is short or boring I was really rushing to get this out cuz I'm really sick rn..