𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

CHAPTER FIVE
THE GIRL WITH HIS MOTHER'S EYES

CHAPTER FIVETHE GIRL WITH HIS MOTHER'S EYES

✧ ⋆ ☽ ✯ ☾ ⋆ ✧

He doesn't think it's evil to take what one wants. What some would call evil, Rocky believes it to be an appropriate response to a harsh and unfair world. Because sometimes, to satisfy one's hunger, you have to do whatever it takes, even if it causes another to suffer.

That's how he had survived.

When his mother died, leaving him alone in the cruel, capricious world, a strange hollowness settled in Rocky's chest. Like he left every piece of himself in the only thing he loved in his life. For pain like that never faded entirely. Grief had its own life and took its own sustenance. And the only thing that kept him going was the promise he made for her: No matter how you may live, promise me that you will die as an immensely wealthy man.

Even if torment forged him, Rocky's vow to his mother was what made him wake up every morning and get through another day. In fact, to be brutally honest, it was probably the only thing he had stayed alive for. Even if he was alone. Even if he felt like eating his own heart for all the things he was forced to witness and do... he survived.

With his hands shaking and his knuckles bruised, he survived. Cold in loneliness and soaked in blood, he kept fighting for one more breath.

It was truly a miracle how he kept his soul aloft throughout it all.

But deep down, he was glad he did. He was thankful that his mother imparted some sense of morality in him before she left. Otherwise, he wouldn't be any different from all the other monsters that fancied themselves as Don's and sat at the top of the food chain, lording over the weak and deprived.

You see... Rocky had long figured out that the world is an awful place, so he does his best to meet it on his own terms. At least that way, he has some chance of winning. This is exactly why, when a stranger came offering him, Bombay, like it's a piece of candy in return for assassinating a powerful man, Rocky agreed. Because he sensed that the ocean he had always wanted to rule was nothing more than a well.

So, he went in search of the actual ocean.

That was where he saw her, meeting each other by pure coincidence.

Rocky knows what he felt for her was not love, but it's not nothing either.

Her eyes were the first thing that caught his sight. They pulled him toward her like a fish on a line. A moth to the flame. They were the clearest and prettiest dark brown. The fighting spirit behind them was unmistakable.... like mother's, a thought comes unbidden. And no matter what he tried to do, he couldn't seem to shake the idea off his mind.