Chapter 48: Hope

#2,228

What is Hope?

Such an intriguing, daunting and curious question, is it not?   

I believe Hope is very much like our own tiny Moon. The most serene, beautiful, and precious thing to look at. When I do take a moment to get a satisfactorily good long gaze at its exquisiteness my belief becomes stronger. 

Just as the Moon, ever-present in the sky, which is everybody's to have but nobody's to hold, Hope is also a sinister little endearing feeling, everybody's to have and yet nobody's to hold.

Hence, we say, have hope. To always have hope is a courageous blessing. And to never lose it is an ominous predilection. 

~Aavya, on the night before Aman's surgery.

❋❋❋

In the wee hours of the morning, Ansh saw almost everyone succumbing to weariness. Being tired was an understatement for them. Ahana has basically sobbed herself to sleep. She had been strong enough but the steady slow stream of tears had made her eyes heavy and Ansh was much relieved that she was finally letting them rest. He was exhausted but he stood by the glass door watching his eldest one take slow breadths. Only a translucent medium separated them and yet he left miles away from him. A mother yearns for her child but a father's love is often not given much credit at times. Only if they all knew that behind those angry red eyes and the husky dominant voice there's this softest person ever to walk on the Earth. Only if they knew that to express is not an art all have and to love abundantly without any expectations is a craft mastered only by a few. Ansh would be placed under that category.  

Now, as he saw his son he only wished if he had expressed himself much better. At least Aman would have loved him more, things wouldn't have been as bitter as they were. Of course, there was never a doubt of him not loving him. He loved him so much and not a day went by when he didn't miss him. It's a parent's duty to love all their kids equally and it would be his sin if he failed in doing so. Before falling in love with Ahana he hadn't imagined himself being a father but when he became one he always aimed to be the best one for his kids. Ahana always made him feel like he was doing a fantastic job as a father but after Aman went away on his own his conviction in himself was broken. But, recently they were doing good. Coming to better terms and accepting each other. Ansh could've never expected life to take this turn. He didn't want to win his son's love just because the situation was dire and desperate. He needed his love because they both deserved it. 

It's natural to fight but it's also natural to love despite everything else. A lot of thinking, contemplating, and reflecting had been done over a course of mere 24 hours. All he wishes to do now was just have a heart-to-heart talk with his son. 

" Mr. Raichand..." A low voice brought him back to the present. 

" I'm Dr. Jeffs. I came here as soon as I landed. I've seen the reports and our very first priority remains the same - Aman needs to gain his consciousness. Until then we can't proceed. " He explained and Ansh nodded. 

" We will observe him for another 4 - 5 hours..." But he was not able to finish himself as a beeping sound transpired through the glass doors. Both men looked at each other before the latter one dashed into the room. 

After what wouldn't have been more than 30 minutes but felt like forever Dr. Jeffs stepped out. The mask over his face didn't divulge much but the creases on his forehead didn't tell a happy story and Ansh felt it in his bones that things were about to get rough. 

" The air pressure dropped suddenly which resulted in a mild case of pneumothorax. His lung could have collapsed completely but we're grateful it didn't. But, it's only a temporary thing. His right lung is getting worst and the infection is spreading. We need to start the procedure before the other lung is infected. "