C H A P T E R 8 8

Upon arriving to Jessica and Finnick's shared room after seeing Snow, Katniss knocked quietly, just enough to be heard by the people inside.

"Come in?" Finnick called.

Katniss entered, seeing Finnick sprawled across the bed with his head in Jessica's crossed lap. He sat up with a frown when he saw her serious expression.

"Everything okay?" Finnick asked as Jessica gestured for her to take a seat by the window on the cream cushion. She did so gratefully, feeling as though her legs would give in.

"Coin is the one who dropped the bombs, not Snow." That came as a shock but not a surprise. "Gale knew. It almost killed Prim, and he knew," she added in a more pained tone. "I've told all the other victors, now I'm telling you, she's gonna call a meeting and when she does, we have to agree with whatever she says. No matter how bizarre an idea she comes up with, we have to make sure she gets her own way until Snow's execution. I can't explain, you're just gonna have to trust me. We have to make it believable though. There's 10 victors. You two, me, Peeta, Haymitch, Maggs, Annie, Johanna, Beetee and Enobaria. That means whatever she proposes, we'll need 6 agreeing with her, 4 disagreeing. Remember that."

Both Jessica and Finnick agree, "I'm confused but we trust you."

Katniss nods and gets up to leave, "Jessica?" The older girl looks up, "am I wrong to be mad at Gale? He is my friend after all."

"No," she replies without hesitation. "You're not wrong to be mad, it could've killed Prim. Or you and me," Finnick's jaw tensed at the last part as he squeezed her hand tighter. "Seeing as he's your friend, maybe you'll forgive him one day, but you definitely have a right to be mad."

Katniss nods, appreciative of the advice, before leaving.

Just hours later, Coin invited the Victors to a private meeting. In a clockwise position, they sat: Coin, Johanna, Maggs, Annie, Jessica, Finnick, Katniss, Haymitch, Peeta, Enobaria, Beetee.

"I have invited you all here for several reasons, but first I have an announcement. I have taken the burden and the honour of declaring myself interim president of Panem." This made Jessica frown, Coin was as power hungry as Snow.

"Interim?" Haymitch scoffs. "Exactly how long is that interim?"

"We have no way of knowing for certain, but it's clear the people are far too emotional right now to make a rational decision. We'll plan an election when the time is right." Haymitch glances around the room. "But I have called you here for a far more important vote. A symbolic vote. This afternoon we will execute Snow. Hundreds of his accomplices also await their deaths. Capitol officials, Peacekeepers, torturers," the word makes Jessica's body go tense but Finnick placed a hand on her knee soothingly, "Gamemakers," Coin continues. "But the danger is, once we begin, the rebels will not stop calling for retribution. The thirst for blood is a difficult urge to satisfy. So, I offer an alternative plan. Majority for may approve it, no one may abstain. The proposal is this. In lieu of these barbaric executions, we hold a symbolic Hunger Games."

AN: if u r confused, I decided to change the voting idea slightly to make it so that Katniss spoke to all the victors and that they purposely agreed w Coin bc Katniss had a secret plan all along.