Chapter Fourteen

Ethan

"Okay, so you're officially dead," Tom directed his gaze towards me, his complexion whitening ever since he hung up the phone in his hand.

I wasn't quite sure how to respond to this statement so I just pursed my lips in acknowledgement and redirected my gaze. It still sent a flash of anger through me whenever I looked at Tom — along with a flash of hurt. Of course I downplayed this to Harry... he was possessive enough as it was. I didn't want him to realise the extent of Tom's presence on me.

This was the first step in this plan. Tom had been sent here to kill me and kidnap Harry — he had built a strong trust with Michael over the time he spent undercover in the gang. Apparently Michael trusted him enough to do this. He had just gotten off of the phone with Michael to confirm my death and apparently my body was being dumped as we spoke.

I could see that Hugh was also rattled after speaking to his father on the phone. Michael had wanted confirmation directly from his 'loyal son' that Tom had carried out his part dutifully. I had been sure that the shakiness in Hugh's voice would give us away prior to the call. But once he held that phone up to his ear, his voice was as steady as ever — confident, even.

I was proud of him.

"Did he buy it?" Harry piped up from where he was sitting, his face pale also. This first step meant that the plan was in motion — no turning back. I wanted to vomit my guts up at the mere thought of what Harry would have to do tomorrow. Last night when he was sleeping, I had trailed my fingers along the scars left on his body by Michael. He had inflicted those on a child — what would he do to a man?

But there was no talking him out of it. He wouldn't listen to a word I said once we'd left that B&B yesterday and he knew exactly how to distract me. The simple thought of his lips on my neck made my pulse race and my breathing become uneven. I was under a spell and nothing could break it. I thought back to where we were when we first started this mission and where we were now — the changes and revelations we had endured... It was crazy.

"Yes. He's en-route as we speak. He has to make a quick stop-off in Barcelona and then he's straight here by tomorrow morning." Tom held a confidence that had made me more comfortable about all of this. The three of them were so sure of themselves — so sure of what they were about to do.

I wondered if their desperation for all of this to be over was masking their rationality. Was this truly the only option — facing Michael head on? Using Harry — my Harry — as a bait in a plan that might not work?

Yes, I knew that something had to be done — both Dawson and Michael were after us and I wasn't ignorant to that fact. Tom had been sent here to kill me, yes, I knew that. But we could have gone into hiding for a few months and bided our time... we could have waited. We could have had the upper hand and tracked down Dawson and Michael, getting them when they least suspected it.

I was jolted out of my thoughts with someone's hand on my shoulder. I snapped my head up, ready to meet Harry's eyes only to see Tom's looking back at me.

"Can we talk?" he asked.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Harry raise his head from whatever he was reading to look at us. I hadn't had the chance to speak to Tom since all of this happened. Yesterday Harry and I spent most of the day together and met up with Hugh and Tom last night, only to completely ignore the elephants in the room and instead focus on our plan for the upcoming days.

Hugh had approached Harry with hopeful eyes last night only to be shut down immediately by Harry's 'get out of my way, twerp.' It seemed he still wasn't ready to face this new revelation in his life. He masked his emotions well in front of Hugh — I was the only one who he showed his true self to and I secretly revelled in this fact.