Twenty Three - The Duel

My heart sunk in my chest and a heavy pit formed in my stomach as I held the letter in my hand. I felt a wave of dizziness as everything sunk in. My mind was racing and I could feel my heart beating frantically.

Anthony.

All my thoughts were consumed by Anthony.

He loved me.

He returned my feelings.

I welcomed a swift moment of happiness, but the moment left as quick as it had came, at my next realisation.

Anthony was going to duel the Duke.

I was breathing heavily as I pulled my burgundy robe on over my plain, white night gown and fastened the clasp at the front. Practically running out of the room after dropping the letter on top of the bed, I hurried to Anthony's room but when I got there it was dark and no one appeared to be inside. I imagined he would be in his study and quickly made my way down the stairs.

I gasped as the door opened to reveal Colin. I definitely looked flustered and my unsteady breaths were clearly alarming him.

I cut in before he could speak, 'I am looking for Anthony, it is a matter of great urgency.'

'I am afraid he is not here.' His eyes were glossy and he looked exhausted.

'Could you tell me where he has gone? I would not ask you this if it was not important.' I was looking around frantically as I let out shaky breaths.

'I am afraid, I cannot.'

I looked up at him bewildered.

'Colin, if you know where he is, you must tell me,' I pleaded. I could feel the palms of my hands becoming clammy and I fidgeted with the sleeve of my robe in an attempt to calm my nerves.

'I swore I wouldn't say.'

'Colin, I know Anthony and the Duke are going to duel.' His eyes widened, shocked that I knew, 'I am begging you to tell me where he is.'

'Even if I told you, it is far too dangerous for a lady, this is a gentleman's quarrel, we just have to hope the Duke comes to his senses and agrees to marry Daphne before it's too late.'

His words baffled me. The Duke had not wished to marry Daphne, even after defiling her honour. I should have guessed that to be the reason fuelling this duel, but why would he refuse her hand? It was a question to which I couldn't fathom the answer.

'Colin, please tell me.' He looked at me quizzically.

'I do not wish to ever hurt you, but I cannot marry you...' I paused taking in a deep breath, 'My mother told me when I was little to marry for love. Only love. Do not doubt my affection for you Colin, but it is not the love I know she was referring to. Love for a soulmate, for someone you feel you cannot live without and for someone that when the whole world feels like it is craving in you can hold and feel even in that moment at peace once again. My parents shared a rare thing - A true love match, I had always wished for the same and I believe I have found that in another. It is for that reason I beg you to please tell me where they are.' I was fighting back tears as I looked at him and his taken back expression.

'It's Anthony, isn't it?' He looked at me sadly, an understanding look on his face.

'It is.' I looked down at my feet, staring at the cold wooden floor as I fought back images of what might be happening at the duel. 'I'm so sorry Colin, but I cannot let him do this. I cannot face anymore loss,' I croaked.

'You mustn't apologise. You have nothing to be sorry for,' he paused and I looked up at him, meeting his eyes, he smiled, 'I appreciate your candour.'

'Colin you must tell me where his is,' I begged, 'I have to try to stop this before one of them gets hurt, I have to see him.' I pleaded, still fiddling with the sleeve of my robe.

Colin sighed and looked down, 'They are at the meadow,' he looked up at me once again, 'Go to him,' he smiled. 'They are by the great oak tree.'

'Thank you, thank you, thank you,' I rushed out, advancing to the door.

'My brother is a very lucky man, make sure he knows that,' he smiled encouragingly.

I hurried back to him and hugged him tightly, 'Thank you Colin.'

I quickly pulled away and once again made my way to the front of the house.

'I am sorry to bother you at this hour,' I told the footman, 'It is of great importance.'

I raced outside to the horses, sinking my feet in the riding boots before mounting the steed.

I rode as quickly as I could to the meadow. It was not yet waking hours for the Ton, but the light hue of the summer sun lit the early morning, as I rode through the streets in an effort to take a shortcut. The only noice to be heard was the loud pound of the hooves on the cobble.

My hair whipped back in the wind and my robe offering little warmth in the chill. But it didn't bother me. All I could think about was Anthony. If he was safe. My eyes stung at every negative thought that raced through my mind, my heart racing at the endless possibilities. Was it truly too late?

Entering the field, I scanned the landscape for the oak tree, hoping I would find them. As the horse steadily made its way over the large mound connecting the two fields, I saw the oak tree. Willing the horse to go faster as I flicked the reins, the horse powered forward, and I was able to catch sight of them. Surging forward, I saw from a distance the two men readying themselves to shoot and my heart was pounding. I flicked the reins again, in an effort to make the horse go faster.

Advancing towards them, I saw the men turn and steady their pistols. I frantically flicked the reigns again.

When I was finally close enough, I tried to steady the horse, but the horse maintained its fast speed, and was heading straight for them.

The whole scene felt as if it was going in slow motion as the horse motioned for the middle of the group. Nearing them I struggled to steer the horse off to the side. The horse suddenly rode between the two apposing men, and the sound of a shot being fired was heard.

The horse jolted, kicking me off its back and launching me straight down. I felt a searing pain through my head and it felt as if it was on fire as my body made contact with the hard ground. My eyes fell shut as a shooting pain coursed through my back.

All I could hear was the sound of ringing and muffled voices.

-

(A/N): Thank you so much reading and thank you so much for all the love and support on the previous chapter and Gravity as a whole, it means the world to me!
I have made some slight tweaks to the previous chapter but not any drastic changes as I really loved writing that chapter!
That being said I hope you enjoyed this chapter and I hope you're ready for more Anthony and Elizabeth moments <3