34.

Tommy and Bella made it back to Small Heath a few hours later.

Tommy walked her up the steps of the Watery Lane house. He looked conflicted when she turned back towards him.

"Are you sure you don't want me to stay the night? Or you can stay at Polly's?" He asked her

She shook her head with a small reassuring smile,
"I think I'll be alright Tommy. If anything's wrong I'll call, promise."

Taking another hit from his cigarette, he nodded looking down, still not liking the idea.
Bella lightly grabbed a hold of his jacket, in order to get his attention.
"I'll be okay. You need to go home to that boy of yours, I'll see you tomorrow."

Tommy looked over her face, trying to find any form of dishonesty. He didn't want to leave her alone. But she was right, he did need to go home to Charlie.

"Alright peach-" he pointed his finger at her with raised eyebrows "but if you need anything at all, you better call. Otherwise I'll stop by tomorrow after my meetings."

She nodded in agreement, "course Grumpy. Now you better give Charlie a kiss from me."

After rolling his eyes, he let a small smirk come over his face, as he placed his hand on her cheek, "can I have one to pass along to him?"

Bella giggled and playfully slapped his chest, but still she obeyed and leaned up to give him a soft kiss on the lips.

When the two pulled away, Tommy kept his face a centimeter from hers. "Say it again" he asked

She smiled, knowing what he was talking about and moved her arms to wrap them around his neck "I love you, Thomas Shelby"

He smiled then, a real one. Something that didn't happen often for him. "Have a nice night peach, I'll see you tomorrow."

"Yeah...you will" she replied and he pulled her in for another quick kiss before he let her go and turned back towards the car.

Bella stood with her hand on the door, watching as he reached the car. Just before he got in, he looked up at her one last time and gave her a quick wink.

Bella smiled and shook her head. Then stepped back to shut the door.

Today was good day, in fact the events of today made yesterday not seem so hard. She knew she had a lot of trouble to in front of her to face, but for now she'll live in the moment.

It was quiet inside the house. She didn't want to be alone yet, but knew she had to convince Tommy to go home to his son. Otherwise he would've stayed as long as she wanted him.

Sighing and running a hand through her hair, she went upstairs to take a bath and try to get some sleep...

*****

By the time Tommy got home it was late. Pulling up the drive, he noticed all the lights in the house were out.

Turning off the car, he made his way inside. No maids were there to greet him, considering the time. But he didn't mind.

He went to his office to drop off his briefcase. Normally he would stay in there and do some work. But he had the meeting with Father Hughes and the Economics League early in the morning, and he could hear Bella's voice in the back of his head telling him he should at least try to sleep.

So he left the work and made his way upstairs.

Stopping to Check in on Charlie, who was sound asleep. He bent down to give him a kiss on the forehead, "that's from Bella" he spoke softly to his sleeping son