66

"Well, that was..."

"Unexpected." Zane finishes my sentence for me.

I laugh and shake my head slightly. I can't stop thinking about GG. She may be an elder, but he eyes shone with youth and mischief. I had a feeling I'd be seeing a lot more of her.

"What's so funny?" Zane looks at me with a confused looked across his face, making me laugh more.

"Nothing. You hungry? I'm starving." I say as I start to head towards the kitchen.

I look back at Zane to see if he's following me and he's still standing by the door, staring at me with that confused look. It just makes me laugh louder and I continue on to the kitchen.

When I walk into the kitchen I see Layla sitting at the counter. She has a terrified look on her face as she stares at nothing and she's shaking. I rush over to her and place my hands on her face gently.

"Layla? Layla what's wrong?" I turn her face towards me and see that her eyes are glowing a pure white.

"So much blood... blood everywhere." She whispers.

"What? Where?" I scan her body for blood but I don't see anything.

"Dead... they were all dead." She won't look at me.

"Who? Layla who are you talking about?" She's scaring me now, so I shake her slightly.

Her eyes finally snap to mine still fully white "You can only save one."

"What the fuck are you talking about?" My voice raises slightly as I ask her.

"What's going on in here?" Zane asks as he finally walks into the kitchen.

I'll deal with him in a moment, I need to know what she was talking about. I've never seen Layla like that before, and it sent chills down my spin.

"Layla what are you talking about?" I repeat shaking her a little harder this time. That's seems to snap her out of whatever trance she was in.

She places a hand on her head and closes her eyes tightly, when she opens them they're normal again. She gives me a confused look "What? What did I say?"

"So much blood, blood everywhere. Dead, they were all dead. You can only save one. Your eyes were pure white while you spoke. What does that mean Layla?" I search her eyes for an sign of realization, but only see confusion.

"I'm sorry.. I.. I really don't know." I can tell she truly doesn't remember what just happened.

"I'm sorry what?" I can hear the anger in Zane's voice as he stomps towards us.

"Not now." I snap at him.

"You're telling me she just had a vision of blood and everyone dead, telling you that you can only save one and you say not now?!" He roars at me.

It's my turn to look at him confused "A vision?"

"You said her eyes were pure white right? Did they look like they were glowing white?" He says it like he seen it, but I know he didn't.

"Yeah..." I drag out. "But how do you-"

"My grandmother is a Seer. That's what happens to her when she gets visions." He states in a matter of fact tone.

"A Seer?" Me and Layla say at the same time.

"Wait. Y'all have never heard of Seers?" Zane asks.

Me and Layla both shake our heads no. I've never heard of anyone getting a vision, much less anyone constantly having them.

"Seers are rare, but not unheard of. They get visions of the future, but usually they remember what they see. Mostly they keep themselves hidden to stay safe from people who would seek to use them and their power. My grandmother is a Seer, the only one currently alive actually." He looks at Layla "Well, that I knew of."

"Zane where does she live?" I ask him and he gives me a wicked smile.

"Follow me." He says.

So we do. Me and Layla follow Zane all the way to the edge of his territory. I'm about to ask him where we're going when a small cottage comes into view. It looks like something straight from a story book, covered in vines and surrounding by flowers.

As we approach I notice a small elderly woman sitting in the garden, she's wearing a white dress and sun hat. Instantly she reminds me of GG, a timeless beauty.

You would think she was in her late fifty's, but her eyes say she's much older. Her long dark hair is almost to her waist, and her blue eyes twinkle with knowing.

"About time you brought Nova to meet me. I was beginning to think you had forgotten about me." She laughs as she speaks.

"Sorry Nanna. There's just been a lot going on." Zane places a quick kiss on her cheek.

"You think I don't know that? It doesn't mean you get to skip out on introductions. I taught you better than that." She scolds him.

He actually hangs his head "I apologize."

She waves him off as she stands at looks at me giving me a bright smile "Come here Nova, let me get a good look at you."

I smile back as I approach her and she pulls me into a tight hug "It's nice to finally meet you. You're even more beautiful in person."

"Thank you. It's nice to meet you too." I tell her as she releases me.

"Nanna we have a few questions." Zane says.

Her head quickly snaps to the side to look at him "You really think I don't know why you're here?"

He sighs "I'm sorry, I just meant-"

"I know what you meant Zane." She laughs.

Suddenly her eyes glow white the way Laylas had back in the kitchen. Her head turns so she facing me once more "One will save you, one will betray you, one will watch you fall, and you can't save them all. You already know how this will end."

What the actual fuck...