Chapter six

Charlotte, grandma and I are all sat in a study kind of room waiting for Mia. While we are waiting we talk about the wedding.

"Sorry, I'm sorry. I am almost on time though" Mia says, running into the room, "So, what are we learning today?"

"We are learning the art of the fan" grandma tells us, taking out a tray that has a white fan, a black fan and a lavender, almost white fan. 

"Fascinating" Mia answers taking the black fan and I take the lavender fan, leaving grandma with the white fan.

"Yes. Get up, get up. We only have about ten minutes in which to communicate this," grandma hurries us, "Now, first of all, one handles a fan very deliberately. It's a tremendous tool of communication" as grandma tells us this I flick the fan open, while Mia holds it awkwardly above her head and lets in fall open.

"You can say things like, 'I'm feeling flirtatious. Come hither'" grandma demonstrates, fluttering  the fan in front of half her face, keeping her eyes visible. Mia and I then copy. "You can say, 'I never wish to speak to you again. Go away'" this time she put's the fan out behind her, her hand in front of her and turns away. I turn to Mia, copy the pose and quietly say, "go away" before we both start laughing. 

"You can say, 'I'm feeling incredibly shy today'" grandma continues. Mia then begins to move the fan over her face before moving it to show her making a funny face. Charlotte and I begin to quietly laugh before grandma turns to face Mia, catching her.

"Are you sassing your grandma?" she asks Mia, sarcastically. 

"I would never sass you, Grandma." Mia replies, a small smile on her face.

"This is also a way of showing you're annoyed" grandma says, hitting Mia lightly with the fan, everyone laughing.

*** 

Now I didn't get to witness this, because I was doing more wedding planning, but from what I've been told someone gave Mia a chicken, that got loose and ran around the throne room causing Mia and some guards to run in circles after it. That sounds much more interesting then picking some flowers. 

However, right now I am relaxing in a calm area in the garden/ courtyard, writing in my dairy with Anthony stood close by.

Dear diary,

Tomorrow I review the royal guard, The whole court will be watching, plus the troops, And I'm wearing a floor-length dress. I also have to be ladylike while riding side-saddle. 

Grandma suggested using the wooden leg before I decided I would try riding side-saddle first. She was right when she said it was uncomfortable but it isn't impossible. These are the time's I'm grateful I did horse riding.

***

"Hear ye, hear ye. Princess Aurora Alexandria Thermopolis Renaldi reviews the Royal Guard of Genovia" A man announces loudly.

Mabrey and a guard whisper to each other on scaring Aurora's horse, Sandy, with a fake snake.

"I'm Nick. Viscount Mabrey's nephew" Nicholas introduces himself to Lily and Andrew who are sat with Mia.

"Ah, the chap who's trying to stage the palace coup. I'm Andrew Jacoby. Nice to meet you"

"Lily Marcovitz, official best friend of Princess Mia and close friend of the future queen. I don't like you." Lily introduces herself, putting her hand out for Nick to shake.

"Pleasure" he says before turning away.

"Atten... hurgh! Open ranks... hurgh!" 

Sandy then begins to walk down the road with my riding side-saddle on her back. I'm  nodding at people as I pass, smiling at them. Suddenly, Sandy begins to slow down and back away from something. She then begins to thrash around clearly startled. Everyone gasps and I try to calm the terrified horse. I swing my leg over to the other side, so I am now on her back normally, making it easier to stay up. I move her away from everyone, into the open slightly and in a minute she has calmed down. The ceremony then continues without anymore issues.

I'm sat in the stables, looking out at the horses, when I hear someone clear their throat behind me. I turn my head to see Nick standing there, "What do you want?"

"Aurora, I'm... I'm sorry" he starts.

"For what exactly?" 

"Everything" he replies.

"No, you're not. You never think of anyone but yourself," I tell him, "So, can you give me the day off from listening to you play your game" 

"Game?" he questions.

"Don't pretend you're all innocent. If you really wanted the crown, you wont just sit and hope it'll fall onto your head" I then hear a floor board creak and turn to see Anthony there.

"Princess, excuse me. The queen has arrived" he tells me, stepping further into the room.

"Alright, thank you. Goodbye Nicholas, have fun scheming" I say, winking at him then walking out, smiling.

*

After Aurora has left, Anthony questions, "Nicholas. Am I going to be disappointed in you?"

Before Nicholas can answer, his uncle, Mabrey walks in, "Unfortunate incident, that. I'm just leaving. You going to come and see me off?"

"I'd like to speak to your uncle alone, Nicholas. Please" Anthony says, clenching his jaw. After Nick leaves, Anthony continues, "Viscount. You may not be aware of what my job entails as a member of royal security. My job is to protect the crown, step in when someone tries to harm the crown or play with it's emotions"

"I think the entire country understands how well you cater for the crown's emotions" Mabrey replies, rolling his eyes.

"If you hurt my girl, you will answer directly to me. And whatever crimes I commit against you, remember: I have  diplomatic immunity in 46 countries. Including Puerto Rico" Anthony threatens, stepping slightly closer to the shorter man.

"Sir, you will find that the word 'fear' is not in my vocabulary" Mabrey defends.

"Perhaps. But it's in your eyes. You forgot something" Anthony says, putting the fake snake over Mabrey's shoulder, then walking out.

***

"Nicholas, I want to ask you a question." Clarisse says, stopping the young man.

"Of course, Your Majesty" he replies.

"Why are you so against Princess Aurora being queen?" she asks.

"Well, my uncle feels that Princess Aurora doesn't know the people" he tells her.

"And you feel you do know the people?" she retaliates. 

"Yes. I was born here, I went to primary school here. I am a true Genovian. Aurora didn't even know she was Genovian until high school, and to be frank, she's spent little time here since then."

"Well, she did want to spend more time here, but I thought it best she continued her education. And I happen to feel that she'll make a great ruler. She's terribly bright, sensitive, caring" Clarisse defends her granddaughter.

"I know that"

"You do?"

"Yes. Yes, I do. But, how can one rule the people if they do not know the people?" Nicholas questions.