Chapter Nineteen

Dearest gentle reader, 

It is often said that those who marry in haste must repent at leisure, a sentiment that is clearly shared by Miss Daphne Bridgerton, who has apparently rejected not one, not two, but three proposals already this week. Some believe she is showing admirable forethought in her deliberations, but I would venture a different conjecture, that she, like this author, is still waiting on the only suitor of note.

All of the Bridgerton's were seated in the drawing room, enjoying the quiet morning. Gregory and Hyacinth were playing with toys, Loren seated beside them on the ground, and while it was not the most comfortable position to be in, Hyacinth had requested for the woman to play with them, and how could Loren possibly refuse?

Colin was currently preparing a cup of tea, while Anthony was reading the paper in a wooden chair beside a coffee table. Daphne and Benedict were seated on the small baby blue couch, Eloise and Violet both sat in matching blue chairs as well. Violet glanced over at Daphne from her reading, "Daphne, have you thought about with whom you would like to dance at tonight's ball?

"I have some ideas." The girl said. Loren, who was gazing upon the children playing turned her gaze upon Daphne, "Do tell us, Daph." The girl smiled, "Lord Weaver is a fine dancer." She said. Anthony nodded along with her words, glancing up from his paper, "Lord Hardy was asking about you at White's last night." Violet arched her brows, "Lord Hardy? What about the Duke?" Daphne sighed, "The Duke has not proposed, Mama. I am still considering my best course." She said, glancing back at Anthony who grinned at her, "Wise girl."

Loren nodded, "Lord Hardy is a fine choice, although he is rather boastful." Violet eyed her daughter, "My dear, why ever do you complicate matters so? You must simply marry the man who feels like your dearest friend." Daphne scoffed, "Is that it, Mama? Well how very simple, indeed." "Yes, quite." Violet responded with an ironic chuckle. Her gaze fell on Anthony, who appeared to be processing what his Mother had said. A small smile crossed Violet's lips. Maybe that would finally get her son to admit how he felt for Loren. Violet doubted it, but one could only hope. She would have many chances to match the two together, and she was just getting started.

***

Loren was tempted to stay home, she really was. Social events weren't fun in general, but she definitely had a much better time when she was around Anthony. But there would be no fun tonight, for the two were still not speaking to one another unless it was absolutely necessary. Daphne had abandoned the family to spend time with Simon. Loren stood alone now, for the rest of the family had dispersed throughout the ballroom. The woman decided to make her way toward the refreshment table, but halted immediately when she almost ran into Queen Charlotte. Loren cursed herself silently as she curtsied, "My apologies, Your Majesty, I was not paying attention to where I was going." 

The Queen scowled at the woman, "I am surprised to see that you are not by Lord Bridgerton's side tonight, Miss Smith." Loren was trying to respond when a man appeared by the Queen's side. He had curly blond hair, and sideburns that somehow were longer than Anthony's, which Loren found quite strange for she believed that no young man could ever have longer absurd sideburns that the eldest Bridgerton. "My dear Aunt, who might this lovely lady be?" Queen Charlotte glanced at her nephew before turning back to Loren, "This is Miss Loren Smith. Miss Smith, this is my nephew, Prince Friedrich of Prussia." 

The prince smiled, grasping the woman's gloved hand, "It is a pleasure to meet you, Miss Loren." The woman internally cringed, "As is meeting you, Your Majesty." Queen Charlotte glanced between the two, confused. Loren was glancing around the room, begging for an escape. Across the room, she met Anthony's gaze. Despite not wanting to be around him, she would do anything to escape from this Prince. 

Suddenly the Prince spoke up, "Miss Loren, might I have a dance?" Loren froze a moment, "I-uh-I do not dance, I am afraid-"

"Surely one dance will be alright." He said. The woman knew that there was no way out of this, not even Anthony could save her now. So with a sigh, Loren accepted. Friedrich smiled brightly, leading the woman to the dance floor. All eyes were on them, including Anthony's. Jealously raged inside of him. While he knew that Loren was miserable, he couldn't help but be aggravated seeing her in another man's arms. 

As Loren was spun around by the Prince, she met Anthony's gaze, her eyes filled with desperation. And while the couple weren't on good terms, Anthony was willing to get her out of this. Violet's eyes fell onto her eldest son as he shoved past multiple members of the ton to reach Loren, and a smile crossed her lips. Everything was going according to plan.

Not too long of a chapter, I spent like 5 hours on a history project and didn't have too much time to write this, but I hope you enjoy anyways. 

thank you for reading and comment your thoughts!

-Av-