29

EDITED

29

Jaycee's POV-

After Claire's ceremony, my friends and I decided to go out for dinner at a small diner. It was once Claire's favorite diner to go to, so it definitely had some sentimental value to our small group. They had even hung up a RIP plaque in the diner for her.

I drove there with Caleb and Alesha while Jackson drove with Matt and Dylynn. Josh decided he just wanted to go home because he was tired and a little emotional, so none of us fought him.

Jackson and I are slowly making progress to becoming friends again. Not anything more, however. I don't think I could trust him with my heart like that again.

Caleb and Matt weren't going to invite him to the diner, but he's been nothing but a kind soul to me today, and I could use people like that around me. We had to start somewhere.

Matt, Dylynn, and Jackson were already there, seated, as we approached the table they had claimed in the corner.

As we neared the table, they hadn't noticed me, yet, and I unintentionally eavesdropped in on part of their conversation.

Jackson saying: "I just can't take it - her being so hurt over me. I want her to be happy again and I want to be the goddamn reason."

Alesha abruptly cleared her throat to put their conversation to a stop and slid in next to Matt in the booth. I got in next, Dylynn and Caleb sat next to me.

"How's the kid, Cale?" Matt asked, being the first speak since I sat down.

"Good." Caleb shrugged next to me. "Little ass."

"Cute little ass." Alesha corrected.

"How's Josh's baby doing, do you know, Jay?" Dylynn asked.

"Good." I said with a slight smile.

•••

I arrived home to my dorm room with Dylynn after our peaceful dinner that night.

"I'm going over Matt's tonight." Dylynn told me as she packed an overnight bag.

"Can I walk over with you? I want to talk to Josh." That's a lie - I actually want to talk to Jackson. I wanted to check up on him after the long day we had all endured.

I know now that it reminds him of Lance.

"Sure." She shrugged, before looking up and offering me a smile. "How're you doing, Jay?"

"Surprisingly, not as bad as I thought I would." Dylynn nodded.

"Ready?"

I grabbed my phone and motioned to the door.

The walk to the boys' dorms was short and quiet. I could hear the crickets off in the distance, which got progressively more annoying.

"Are you walking back in the dark?" Dylynn asked when we walked into the dorm area.

"I'll probably just bunk with Josh for the night." That one was true; I was going to actually go to Josh's after I went to Jackson's and stay there overnight so I didn't have to walk back by myself.

We got in the elevator - the same elevator Jackson and I almost shared our first kiss on - and it stopped on Matt's level first. Luckily, Josh and Jackson lived on the same floor so Dylynn wouldn't be able to infer exactly where I was headed.

My head started aching out of no where, like really bad. I felt like someone was inside my head and trying to get out.

I knocked on Jackson's door hesitantly and I heard him shout come in. He was standing in the door from of his room where Maya was sitting on her couch. Jackson did not look too pleased to have her here.