Chapter XXX: Mixed Feelings

"You're lying" , Noah immediately hissed. His irises have turned the color of charcoal, pure darkness without a spec of light in them.

"Would you believe your dead father, Agiel, if he told you the same thing?"

The boy only glared daggers at the demon. The one responsible for his pain, the one now toying with his feelings as if it was a ball in the air, kicked by anyone who had the power to do so.

"You're lying" , he repeated, and without an ounce of hesitation, he lunged at the demon's throat. Surprisingly, the latter did not dodge. He let his own throat constrict underneath Noah's tiny hands.

Let him feel pain like I did.

Let him know what it means to play with others' souls.

"Noah! Stop it!" , a girl's voice bellowed in the background. Noah didn't remember whose voice it was, nor did he care. This creature needed to be killed, right this instant, by Noah's own hands.

The midnight-haired boy with the Darkness-smudged eyes squeezed and squeezed, but the skin felt like rubber, and the trachea felt like rock under his palms. He looked up at the demon's face, and he knew.

That there was no point.

That there wasn't going to be any murder tonight.

For what Noah was trying to choke to death was a wooden mannequin, replacing the demon who was standing right behind the boy.

His own hands on Noah's neck.

"Stop it! Both of you!" , the same voice squealed in the distance.

Noah's blood froze. He swallowed loudly, feeling bile go back down his esophagus, his Adam's apple moving underneath the demon's middle fingers.

"He started it" , Typhon bowled, his tone far from holding any sort of emotion in it.

The unsuspicious, insignificant aura he felt emanating from the demon earlier when he first met him was nothing like what he was catching right then. An extremely powerful, terror-inducing aura. Noah realized, once again, how much of a weakling he was.

And how unbelievably arrogant he had been.

Tears of frustration quickly manifested in his eyes, trickling down his cheeks, as hot as coal under a blazing fire. Shame burned his insides, and he felt as though he was deprived of all his clothes, naked in front of the entire human population.

Please, Noah thought. Please just kill me.

But Typhon wasn't squeezing. He wasn't even angry. He didn't even feel threatened.

It made Noah sob harder.

After a moment that seemed to last forever, the boy was released, and he sank to the floor.

On his knees.

Like a loser. Like the lowest of humans.

"I don't like it when I'm accused of lying with words. If I wanted to lie to you, I could have just shown you a new illusion, so close to reality it would make you immediately buy it. This time, I want you to believe me, sweetheart."

"You don't understand. How can I be the Queen's son if I'm so weak?!" Noah yelled despite himself. His sobs were stuck in his throat, choking him, but he continued to yell, not at himself, not at the demon standing behind him, but at the entire world.

"I can't just believe you when you tell such an obvious lie! Where were the powers when I needed them? Where was she when I escaped the only place I thought was home? Why didn't she come looking for me? Why did no one tell me anything until I had to kill my own father? Who am I supposed to believe? Who am I supposed to trust?!"