Chapter 27- A birthday gift, a trapped duke and some gelid butts

"I am not sure that is proper, your highness." Replied the Duke, slowly, trying to retain some kind of loyalty to the crown.

"Why not, my lord?" asked Francis, while he approached, a growing smile gracing his lips. He ended with a slight tilt of his head, as if the question had come from a place of complete innocence.

Which we all know is far from the truth.

Francis didn't see it. Neither did Cedric, who had his glinting eyes glued on me. Nor Wolff or Fridh. They didn't see how Gobbie's hands clasped behind his back with such strength, his knuckles turned pale. They didn't see it, because he had his back on me and the girls. But for sure, they felt the chilling cold of his presence growing with each breath.

I watched them for some time until a pinch on my belly grabbed my attention. It was Jenni, reminding me, through her own bow, of my duty to greet the royal princes. It was while I did it that Cedric tried his luck with Gobbie.

"My Lord, think of it as a learning experience. Father-"

"This is hardly a proper way to learn anything, your highness." Cut the Duke, his voice harsh and loud.

About to retort in an ugly fashion, Cedric got interrupted (or saved- depends on who you ask) by a fool, peering from the open window everyone used to reach the patio.

"It seems interesting..." said Lord Joshua before a strong and cold wind washed him inside. Thankfully, I saw Lord Kristoff's hands (I think) securing the idiot, or he would have bumped into the wall on the other side of the room.

The boys were fast, almost as if used to it, and were able to dodge Gobbie's fury winds with mastery, which may have caused the displeased grunts I heard from the drama queen. The aides advanced quickly to protect their princes, and the tension grew on that poorly lit patio.

With a tremendous sigh, I called "Papa..."

Stop being such a drama queen! Really, you are an adult!

I wanted to call him out for his stupid behaviour, but I waited instead for him to turn to see me. His clear eyes were warm at the sight of his daughters. It was also then that I noticed Lord Castello's hand on Gobbie's shoulder, his body a protective shield toward both princes.

I waited until the cold subsided a little. "I would like to thank the princes for their presents."

"Presents?" his shock stopped his anger for a moment. He glanced at Jenni for confirmation. Then, I saw his eyes travel to our necks and a rush of furious red appeared on his porcelain cheeks. "Emmanuel..." he growled in rage.

"Oh, he didn't tell you?" came the unmistakable voice of Lady Di'Mello, a low chuckle beneath the polite and a very fake, oblivious attitude. She took vigorous steps with the help of her cane, a sophisticated piece of wood resembling a golden arrow. By her side was Eloise in a pale yellow dress and with a complex braid for hairstyle.

"He must have forgotten." She continued, waving her hand absently, mocking the situation.

Francis, never one to miss an opportunity in his favour, took advantage of Gobbie's blind rage, which caused him to be speechless for enough time so the prince could approach Lady Di'Mello and provide a well-needed distraction. He took her hand with an ease only he could muster and gently said, "My lady, glad to make your acquaintance." kissing her knuckles right after.

That sly, savvy fox!

"Father told me a great deal about you, my lady." he continued moving on to lady Eloise, who seemed a little more affected by his charm than her grandmother. The last just watched him with curiosity for a moment, the corners of her lips twisting softly.