[ 8 ] Day One

CHAPTER EIGHT
day one •

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

4 months ago - wicked headquarters

Thomas sat in front of the computers, mindlessly watching his friends roam around the vast grassland of the place they called the Glade. It had been almost two years since Evony was taken from him; the effects were noticeable. He wasn't as happy as he used to be. His smile faded into a thin line. His once bouncy step lost in a sluggish movement.

He always knew that she had meant a lot to him; he just didn't realize the extent of it. It reminded him about a Greek myth he learned in one of his classes. About how humans used to be one, but then were split into halves. Basically the myth said that the other half was your soulmate. The other part of you that made you complete.

He was convinced Evony was his other half. With the amount of longing and suffering he went through while she was away, she had to be-it only made sense.

Love. Love. Love.

What was the point of it when he could only dream of seeing her. Holding her. Telling her everything would be okay, and that they would meet again someday.

All he wanted was to kiss her again. To have her head on his chest with his arm around her waist as they fell asleep with synchronized heartbeats. He loved her. He loved her with everything in him, yet he had been too scared to tell her how he felt. Perhaps if he were able to redo the past few years things would've been different. If only he had known what was to come for the two of them; he would've confessed everything that night in the closet.

The memory of that night swirled around his brain like a tidal wave. Suppressing his heart as if it was locked in a cage.

Why must everything go wrong for him?

He was startled out of his thoughts by the sound of a girl's voice. "Thomas, it's okay." the voice said. For a split second he thought Evony had come back to him, but when he looked to the right his smile dropped back into its normal blank line.

"Hi, T." he acknowledged, rubbing his tired eyes. He had spent all night watching the cameras.

She sat down in the chair next to him and placed her hands in her lap. Her fingers seemed to be clasped over something, and Thomas couldn't help but stare down at them. That was one of his annoying traits: curiosity.

"What's that?" He asked, nodding to her lap.

Teresa stared up longingly at him, a certain amount of pain hidden behind her eyes. Her gaze dropped back down to her hands, where she opened her palm to reveal a dainty gold necklace. "I-im sorry, I shouldve-"

Thomas stood up from his chair, her eyes fixed on the piece of jewelry. "Where did you get that?"

The panic was clear in her face, "Dr.Paige. She gave it to me after they sent Evony in."

"That's hers..."

"I know, Thomas," she hesitantly continued, "I shouldnt of kept it from you, but I- I don't know why I did. It was wrong of me."

The boy's eyes glistened with tears; he wasn't able to form any words. Then Teresa grabbed his hand, placing the chain into his palm and closing his fingers around it. She stepped away from him, unsure of how he was going to react. His eyes were leaking now, a single tear dripped down his cheek and landed on the ground. "I thought they took it," he sniffled, "I thought the doctors got rid of it."