Chapter 20: I am ash from your fire🔥

Tine's POV

"I thought we were meeting other people for dinner?" I asked, as soon as we sat down for dinner in the dimly lit restaurant along the backwaters. The place looked looked like it was over 30 years old, but the view was stunning — just like every place else here.

There were only a few lights illuminating the space. The moon was in full bloom, its reflection falling on the waters. But the brightest of them all was the candlelight on our table that was illuminating Sarawat's face in just the right way.

"I never said that." He answered.

I tilted my head in confusion. "You said this was a work dinner"

"It is." He nodded. "We are keeping up appearances by going on a dinner date together so people don't think I don't have time for my husband." Sarawat gave a tight smile.

"The place is literally empty. How are we keeping appearances by being here, Wat?

"People talk in this town. The staff and the restaurant owner are all going to be talking about us." He said like it was the most obvious answer in the world.

"Its so dark in here, I don't even think they will recognize you."

That's when a man, probably the manager of the place, walked to our table. "Mr Guntithanon, we are so excited to have you here."

"Ah. Just wanted to take my husband out for dinner — while we are here."

The manager bowed towards me. "We have a seven course meal prepared for you. I hope you both enjoy your night.

And as you request, we have blocked all the other tables. We won't be taking any patrons tonight"

When the owner was finally far enough from us, I stared back at Sarawat."You booked the whole place?"

He nodded. This idiot

"Wouldn't it be better to have more people here so we could — keep up appearances?"

"No, it wouldn't."

"Why?"

"Because I like being alone with my husband."

"What — I — That doesn't even make sense."

"Maybe you just don't want it to make sense Tine."

He said with his piercing eyes and all I could do was look away. I couldn't afford to look at him, not after what he had said in the morning. I was too afraid of what I might do.

After the waiter served the first course, I finally gained some courage to address the elephant in the room.

"Wat... about this morning... I just want to say.. I am sorry."

Sarawat stared at me. "For what?"

"I am sorry for reacting the way that I did and I am sorry for running away from the house so abruptly. I know how much that house means to you and I know how much it took in you to walk into that house with me — Thank you for sharing a part of your life with me and..."

"And...?" He leaned in, eager to hear what I had to say next.

" I would really like for us to be friends—"

Suddenly, he put his fork on the table with a loud bang. "Lets order something to drink! What do you want?"

"Ah— I don't think we should— We have to go back to the hotel...."

"We are literally walking back to the hotel, Tine. We can have a few drinks."

"I don't know — You probably have a long day at work."