thirty-seven

PETER WALKED INTO MJ'S WORK, holding the envelope that contained his future

PETER WALKED INTO MJ'S WORK, holding the envelope that contained his future. He locked eyes with MJ, who held up the same envelope. They walked to Ned, sitting in a corner with the white envelope.

They stared at the piece of paper in their hands.

"Where's Morgan? She texted me that she was on her way, but I thought she was with you," Ned asked Peter.

"She said that she left right after her lecture, but I don't know if she drove or–"

On cue, the door opened to none other than Morgan Stark standing in the doorway, out of breath. She made her way to the group in the donut shop and could feel their nervousness when she sat down next to Peter.

Peter looked at her; everything the nerves of MIT slowly went away. It's one of the things that he could never grasp on how her presence would make him feel safe and loved.

She set her tote bag on the counter and turned to them with a soft smile, "are you guys ready?"

Peter was about to answer, but MJ's manager spoke from the doorway, "Jones, I thought I told you to take down the Halloween decorations."

MJ's turned to him and corrected him, "actually, that was Sasha."

"Enough attitude, just do it," the manager concluded as he walked away.

MJ sighed but eventually agreed, "on it."

"I feel like I'm going to puke," Ned spoke up, looking at the envelope.

"Well, don't, because he will make me clean it."

"This is our only shot. It's here or nowhere."

"Hey," Peter spoke up, trying to lighten up his best friend. "C'mon."

Morgan knew that their plan was slipping away. All their backup schools had fallen through. The last one, the last hope, the final answer, was in their hands.

"Whatever happens, I'm so proud of you guys' honestly," Morgan said, giving them a weak smile, and looked at Peter, hoping he would know she meant it.

"Okay, you guys ready?" MJ asked the group.

They nodded in agreement.

"On three. One. Two. Three."

They opened their letters causing Morgan to hold in her breath. She felt her lungs couldn't get enough air, and when she watched their expressions fall, she closed her eyes, not wanting to see their sadness written all over their face.

MJ shook her head, "no."

"No," Peter said, still looking at the letter.

Morgan opened her eyes, realizing there was one more person. They all turned to Ned, hoping for at least one acceptance, but it changed when Ned started to read from the letter.