CHAPTER SIXTEEN: THE STRANGE INVITATION

It's been almost a week and a half since I finished the second coding project with Nick and Clay. We haven't talked since except for a short thank you text. I'm not super surprised and honestly not worried. I feel like we kind of bonded in a friend-way, so I think we'll find our way.

Gemma skips into my room without any warning whatsoever. She plops herself on my bed and smiles.

I glance up from my computer as I check for more small job opportunities. "Knock much?"

She rolls her eyes. "It's not like you were going to be doing anything."

"What if I had someone in here?" I ask genuinely.

Gemma gives me a pointed look. "y/n, please, let's be realistic."

I let out a small, unamused laugh. "Very funny. Now, what do you want?"

"What are you wearing to the party tomorrow?" Gemma starts to ramble. "I was going to wear those one b- Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Because I'm not going," I say. "I already said no."

"You got out of last week's party by hanging out with the coder boys." Gemma sighs as she dramatically turns to look at the ceiling. "Now it's time you don't nerd-out and have some real fun."

"Hey!" I grab a pillow from my left. "I did have fun!"

She flips onto her stomach and looks at me with squinting eyes. "So strange."

My phone rings, and my brows raise to see it's Clay.

"Oh my god, is that him?" Gemma asks.

I grimace. "Yes, now will you get out?" I gesture towards the door to give her a hint.

She practically rolls off the bed. "Fine, I'm off to pick out my outfit." She turns to me with a mischievous smile. "Tell nerd-boy I say hello."

I roll my eyes but answer once Gemma shuts the door.

"Hey, how have you been?" Clay asks.

"Good, how about you?"

"Perfect." I can hear the smile in his voice. "Listen, Nick and I were going to watch this movie-type thing tonight. Well, not a movie movie, but similar."

I find myself smiling at the way he seems nervous. It's almost as if we've never hung out before, which I guess we never have in this context at least.

"Anyways, would you want to come over to watch the movie with me?" he finally asks.

"Yeah, sure."

"Really?" he seems surprised now.

"Yeah, what movie is it?" I ask.

"Don't worry, you'll see." The way he says it is almost as if there should be an evil laugh paired with it. "We'll see you at six, okay?"

"Um, okay." Now I sound nervous.

He hangs up, and I sit there for a moment.

What in the world did I just agree to?

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

update: i feel a little better but not 100% yet  but here's a nice little filler chapter for you

the next two chapters are going to be goood

have an amazing day :))