Chapter One Hundred and Thirty Five

"Maybe an unused classroom?" Dean suggested.
"Yeah," said Ron, "McGonagall might let us have hers, she did when Harry was practicing for the Triwizard. . . ."
"Right, well, we'll try to find somewhere," said Hermione. "We'll send a message round to everybody when we've got a time and a place for the first meeting."
She rummaged in her bag and produced parchment and a quill, then hesitated, rather as though she was steeling herself to say something.
"I-I think everybody should write their name down, just so we know who was here. But I also think," she took a deep breath, "that we all ought to agree not to shout about what we're doing. So if you sign, you're agreeing not to tell Umbridge — or anybody else — what we're up to."
Fred reached out for the parchment and cheerfully put down his signature, handing it to me as I made grabby hands towards it.
"Easy enough."
"Er . . ." said Zacharias slowly, not taking the parchment that George was trying to pass him. "Well . . . I'm sure Ernie will tell me when the meeting is."
But Ernie was looking rather hesitant about signing too. Hermione raised her eyebrows at him.
"I — well, we are prefects," Ernie burst out. "And if this list was found . . . well, I mean to say . . . you said yourself, if Umbridge finds out . . ."
"You just said this group was the most important thing you'd do this year," Harry reminded him.
"I — yes," said Ernie, "yes, I do believe that, it's just . . ."
"Ernie, do you really think I'd leave that list lying around?" said Hermione testily.
"She's not an idiot" I added, glaring at him.

"No

"No. No, of course not," said Ernie, looking slightly less anxious. "I — yes, of course I'll sign."
Nobody raised objections after Ernie, the parchment being passed around the room. When the last person — Zacharias — had signed, Hermione took the parchment back and slipped it carefully into her bag.
"Well, time's ticking on," said Fred briskly, getting to his feet. "George, Emily, Lee, and I have got items of a sensitive nature to purchase, we'll be seeing you all later."
At Hermione's suspicious look, I raised my hands, "Perfectly innocent things, promise."
At Fred's snicker, I elbowed him before pushing the three of them towards the door.
"I don't believe you for a second!" she called after us.

Rushing out of the store, I quickly caught Ginny's eye.
"I'll be right back you three, don't go anywhere."
"Huh?"
Before they could argue, I ran over to Ginny, slapping her lightly on the arm, "You said it was Dean that asked you out!"
"Bad cover, I know" she laughed, raising her arms to block my faux attacks, "I just didn't want you telling my brothers."
"I would do no such thing!" I gasped, affronted.
"I know, I know. I'm sorry to have doubted you," she said, smiling, "I'll tell you next time."
"Nuh uh, you fill me in right now! How did you even meet Michael?"
"At the Yule Ball - Neville brought me along, he's a great friend, but Michael and I got to talking..."
I just smiled at her, pulling her into a bear hug, "Look at you, I'm so proud."
"Proud?"
"Yeah! At least one of my sisters can own up when they have feelings for someone."
Ginny looked at me oddly before dissolving into giggles, "Okay - I want to say that it's sweet you're calling me your sister already, but the attack on Hermione was unwarranted."
"Is it though?" I asked, eyebrows raised, "If I have to watch more than one more year of those two skirting around their feelings I might go mad."
"You might go mad? You won't even be here to see the majority of it!"
I nodded, "This is true - though you just made me feel old, so I'm going to stomp away now."
Ginny snorted, shaking her head, "You do that."
As I did just that, I called back towards her, "Make good choices!"
"Never!"