Heartglass 27: Dark Schemes

AZALEA

Time to search the place and look for some possible cursed objects. . . but I'm not really certain what I am searching for.

My eyes wandered inside the room covered in maroon. It was still gloomy because I didn't make any changes at all. I didn't have the luxury of time to focus on the beautification of this room while I was occupied with the trials. I didn't really pay attention as long as I could sleep.

I walked to the closet and scanned the dresses and sets of glimmering jewelry inside—from the gold, silver to the precious gems that vary from opals, sapphires, rubies and diamonds. I didn't see anything unusual which didn't belong to me.

It seemed this room was already cleared. Well, what did I expect? A century had already passed. But despite that fact, I continued to open the drawers and I even lifted the thick mattress of my bed to ensure I didn't miss anything. I even checked the drawers and cabinets in my bathroom hoping to find something related to Celeste but there was nothing left there.

There was no witchcraft related materials inside the room either. 

I sighed and walked to the balcony to breathe. The woods were totally dark and the sky was a little cloudy tonight. I shivered and instinctively hugged myself from the cold breeze despite the thickness of my nightgown.

My eyes went down to the dead rose garden. Maybe I can also check that place? I walked inside the room and grabbed a thick cream coat and quickly wore it. I walked in the dark hallway and headed straight to the dead rose garden at the back of the palace.

My steps echoed on the cobblestones as I went deeper and inspected the rose garden to see if there were some unusual objects that would lead me to the right answer. But there was nothing in the visible places. Should I try to clear the rose garden and remove the dead shrubs? But I think I was not allowed to do that.

I didn't think I should bring this rose garden back to life to end the curse. Something must die but I didn't find anything useful or anything connected to the curse at all.

I sighed. I sat on a small bench and massaged the back of my already aching feet. I leaned my back on the bench and looked up at the dark cloudy sky. I lifted my one hand because I felt that something cold fell on my face. I realized it was snowing. My thick coat was not enough to suppress the cold.

I should have returned to my room but I fell into a deep contemplation. I was suddenly asking myself if I did the right thing—if I did the right thing to confess my feelings. I confessed and I exposed my true feelings to the Crown Prince—to Dion.

I felt like I could no longer turn my back and run away from this. Because if one of us would break, I was not certain if the other one could withstand it. This love was risky.

I was cowering. I realized I was such a coward and I was somehow afraid—too afraid to break my heart—too afraid of dying. I instinctively hugged myself because I felt like I would disappear anytime soon—that even my both hands suddenly turned cold. Breaking my own heart seemed inevitable now.

I knew from the start that love could be deadly but I still confessed.

I stiffened when a thick coat suddenly covered my head. Warmth suddenly spread to my system. I lifted my head, only to see Prince Dion gazing kindly down at me.

"What are you thinking?" he asked with concern. "I'm afraid to see that look in your face. As if you suddenly want to disappear. And it's snowing. Do you want to freeze in the cold?" He walked in front of me.

I stared at him with conflicted eyes. "Well, I didn't find anything useful. Nothing in the room that is connected to Celeste. And I'm just. . . just contemplating things. What if I can't survive this life? I'm afraid to love. What if we break our hearts? You're the future of this kingdom? What if you die? What if these feelings are wrong? What if we were not meant to be?"