Ghosts

We roar along roads that are filled with bumps, choking dust and broken down vehicles dotting the horizon. When I can see the sky through the haze, it's bright orange. Rassel is driving fast. I'm not sure if it is fast but it's too fast for me. My breakfast is making its way from my stomach back up to my mouth. I'm not sure how long I can keep it from spewing out. Crinae holds her hand over her mouth and Hyla burps a couple of times. Chuck is having a great time in the front seat. He's laughing and clapping and doesn't look sick at all.

After a few long minutes of me trying not to barf, Rassel slows down the vehicle much to Chuck's disappointment.

"Check your skills," says Rassel. "Open the windows first."

Hyla winds down a window, sticks her arm outside of the car and flicks her wrist. Water sprays and dampens the desert sand. Crinae waves her hand and light forms a web in between her fingers. Chuck doesn't do anything and neither do I. I'm not going to embarrass myself in front of Rassel by doing something stupid.

"Your turn, Naia," Hyla says to me.

"I'm good," I say.

"You haven't used your skills in weeks," says Hyla. "You should make sure everything is okay."

"Oh, they are," I say.

"Come on," says Hyla. "Do it."

"Why don't you shut up?" I snap.

"Fine, whatever."

"Where are we going?" Crinae asks Rassel.

"To Area 58," he says, driving again. "A safe place near Calgary. We've got to get there as soon as possible. I wasn't expecting a showdown like that. Thought the worst we'd get was a flat tire. They'll be looking for us."

"Elody will be there, right?" asks Crinae.

Rassel looks at me in the rearview mirror.

"Crinae," I say. "I don't think so. She wasn't at the camp."

I feel dizzy and it's not the motion of the car. Before Crinae can ask me any more questions, Rassel spots a problem up ahead.

"Ah, crap," curses Rassel. "A check stop."

Peeking my head over the front seat I see a gate in the middle of nowhere: flat prairie with nothing but sand and sand and sand. There are two Motos standing in front of a barricade. They have big guns and are dressed head to toe in Moto armour that I've never seen before. These guys mean business.

"Let me do the talking," says Rassel, slowing down the car. He stops it just before the metal gate. He winds down his window and the GlobalGov guards salute when they see who it is.

"Hello, Captain," says the shorter of the two Motos. "Sorry for the inconvenience but we're stopping everyone going through."

"What's the problem?" asks Rassel.

"Not too sure yet sir. There was an incident at one of the camps and we were ordered to move to Code Red. But we haven't received any other details. Communications were cut right after the code was flashed. There's been no information in a while."

"Sounds like the protocols are in place, good job," says Rassel. "I have four Habitants here that I've taken into custody. I'd like to get them into processing as quickly as possible."

"Afraid we can't do that sir. Orders are no one is to go through."

"As your captain, I'm ordering you to let me through," says Rassel, lifting his chin.

"No, sir," says the short Moto, taking off his hat and wiping his sweaty brow, "not even you."

Redness is creeping up Rassel's neck and he's gripping the steering wheel so hard his knuckles are turning blue. My jaw hurts from clenching it.