[chapter thirty three] a deadly staring game

✧∘* ೃ ⋆。˚.

Aires pov...

"What do the different colour strings mean?"

"Huh?" 

"The strings. What do they mean?" I whispered whilst I mindlessly wrapped the string around my finger.

After the shit show at the school, I took off, however Stiles had caught up and dragged me into his jeep. I was pissed but wasn't complaining, he was the only person whose head I didn't want to rip off. However, rolling around on his bed, I still felt slightly nervous- slightly unnerved

"Well, I sort of have a code." He mumbled back as he stepped away from a board and plopped onto the bed in front of me. "They are all different stages of the investigation."

"Oh. I didn't even know you had an investigating board."

"Yeah, I put it together around the time of the darach."

"I didn't even know that." I whispered to myself whilst I tugged on the ball of string in my hand. "I don't really know anything anymore, I'm barely here. Same as with Scotty and Lyds, I used to be so close to you guys and now it's like I'm peering in from the outside of the circle."

The longer I thought about it, the more I realised I had drifted away from the group. Somehow, I went from being around only Scott and Stiles to my life being consumed with partying, Drugs, Aiden and Allison

Everything had changed.

"Ree-"

"What do the colours mean?"

After letting out a defeated sigh, Stiles slowly moved his body closer to mine, and I resisted the urge to recoil away. "Well, green means solved, yellow is to be determined, blue is just pretty."

"What does the red mean?"

"Unsolved."

A small snort fell from my lips as I rolled my eyes. "You only have red on the board."

"Yes, I'm aware. Thank you."

"Question." 

"Yes?"

"Did you get a suspension for pulling the alarm?"

"No, but I have detention every day this week and I'm being forced to take two extra AP classes, I chose biology and psychology so at least I'll be with you. It's okay though, we were on to something."

"Even though there was no solid proof of Barrow being there? You know, proof other than me being locked in a room with him and having to look the guy in the eyes whilst he attacked me. Proof other than the crazy girl who has hallucinations and literally keeps accidentally swapping between two different realities."

"Ree, don't say that."

"Its all true, Stiles."

Maybe I was just crazy

"You have been right every time something like this has happened. You figured out about Matt, the Darach, Lydia, the formal. Every time you have had a bad feeling about something, you were right. Don't start doubting yourself now, okay?"

"There was no scent, no traces, no bomb. And I got you in trouble."

"Okay, look." He whispered whilst slowly untangling the string around my finger. "Barrow was there, you saw him-"

"What if I just imagined it?" I shot back, unsure of myself, unsure if any of it was real. "What if he didn't attack me and it was me attacking myself?"