Hungover

"Calm down, Kit," Asher chuckled. "I'm alright." 

     "I've been calling and calling, and you haven't answered your phone!" Kit's voice rang through the other end of the phone. "I was so worried."

      "I'm sorry. Really.. I didn't have my phone on me," Asher smiled to himself. As much as he and Kit had fought growing up, it was nice to know he finally had someone who really cared and was looking out for him. 

       "Where?" 

       "Well..." Asher ran his hand through his hair, pulling out of Shea's driveway. 

       "Well?" 

      "I went to see Shea." 

       "SHEA?" Kit's voice rose on the other end of his phone. 

      "Yes." 

      "In love with Simon, Shea?" Kit clarified. 

      "Yes," Asher rolled his eyes. "The literal only person we know named Shea." 

       "What the hell were you doing at Shea's?" 

       "I was apologizing. My therapist said it would bring me closure." Asher explained, turning down another street. 

      "And did it?" 

      "I dunno," Asher shrugged to himself. "I think I feel about the same." 

      "Do you understand Shea better?" 

      "No. I can't imagine how Simon could stand to be around him." Asher scrunched his eyebrows, imagining the two together. 

      "Me neither." Kit agreed. "Therapists are usually right. I'd bet you'll just feel better in a little while." 

      "I hope so. We should go do something. I feel like I haven't seen you in forever."

      "Me too," Kit paused. "We should go shopping." 

      "I..." Asher looked down at his tattered shirt. He'd been working himself to the bone, and he hadn't even brought all of his clothes with him when he'd left. "I could probably use some new clothes. I don't have any money though?" 

     "I have mom's card. I'll tell her the clothes are for me. She won't care anyway. She's been making lots now, cause she doesn't want to home anymore." 

     "I'm sorry." Asher sighed, guiltily. Kit deserved better than an absent mom. "I don't want you doing that for me."

       "I have some birthday money then. Let me help you? I've always wanted to be a rebel, but been too afraid to do it. Let me live vicariously through you so I can feel rebellious too."

      "I.. uh sure. Thank you Kit, really."

      "Don't mention it." 

       "I... I hope I never made you feel like a stranger in our house. You're more my brother than any biological child of mom could ever be that. I want you to remember that." 

      "Thank you." Kit paused. "You're more my family than mom, any pre-adoption parents, or anyone too. I love you."

      "I love you too."

....

      Shea awoke on the floor of his living room to banging on the door. Well, he thought it banging, he was super hung over, so it might have just been knocking.

      "C-Comin'!" He shouted, flinching at the sound of his own voice and the gravelly feeling in his throat. Shea stumbled across his furniture, careful not to knock over the empty bottle of whiskey and made his way over to the door. "I'm sorry-" Shea began. "Garrett?" 

      "Yeah," Garrett narrowed his eyes. "You look good." 

     "I- Well you see what happened was-" Shea scrambled to think of a good lie, but knew it was fairly evident that he'd been drinking. "I'm hungover." 

     "I can tell." Garrett flicked his eyebrows. "I think you should get out of the house."

      "Is that what you came over to say?" 

      "No. I came to check on you," Garrett stated plainly. "I'm kinda glad I did too." 

      "I'm not feeling so hot, can I take a riancheck?" 

      "Let's go." Garrett gestured back to his car.

      "Go where?" Shea whined. 

     "To get you a hangover smoothie, and maybe a little sun and socialization." Garrett explained. "You should go shower first though." 

       "I should..." Shea nodded in agreement. "I okay. So you should come-" Shea led Garrett inside, but nearly every surface was covered with some kind of mess. "You just sit here on the stairs, and I'll be back." Shea then made his way up the stairs and Garrett heard the shower go on a few minutes after. 

     Shea wasn't good to him, that much was for sure, but Garrett was mostly used to it. Most people weren't good to him. Garrett had more than his fair share of hangovers during his time, and knew there were a few things that made it better. Namely Kale, although that was mostly just healthy, and healthy foods generally make you feel better than junk foods. There was a smoothie place in the mall not far from Shea's house that had the best smoothies in town, and after a heavy night of partying, not the Garrett had partied in a long while, Garrett would go down to the smoothie place and grab one of their smoothies. After about fifteen minutes Shea came down the stairs in a pair of cream shorts and a black T-shirt. His shaved head dried much faster than his old hair would have so it was already nice and dry. 

     "You ready?" Garrett stood as Shea came down the stairs. 

      "I guess so." 

     "Let's go." Garrett made his way out the door and got into his car with Shea following behind. It wasn't a long drive but they sat in silence. Mostly because of Shea's hangover, but also because it was still awkward since Shea had tried to push him away. 

      "I'm sorry about those things I said." Shea attempted to sit up straighter, but groaned at the motion. 

       "It's alright." Garrett stared ahead. It didn't really matter much anymore what Shea had said. "We're here."

      Shea and Garrett got out of the car and walked right to the smoothie place. The mall was crowded being that it was a Saturday morning, but there wasn't a line. After the boys had procured their smoothies they sat on a bench in front of a fountain and drank them in silence. Garrett still cared for Shea. He thought he probably always would, but things were different now. Something had inevitably changed between them. He no longer could tell if his presence was a constant annoyance or if Shea actually wanted him around. Shea had tried to make it very clear that he did not want Garrett around. 

      "I should drive you home soon," Garrett stated, breaking the silence. "I can get out of your hair then." 

     "No," Shea sat up. "I- we're already here, we could.. walk around a little. I want you to stay with me... if you're not busy today."

       "Of course," Garrett chuckled. "Looks like the smoothie did the trick." 

       "Yeah.. The smoothie."