15

-Back Outdoors, Y/N's POV-

After I finally got myself to fully calmed down and composed, I walked back out with my head held high as if nothing bothered me and then took a seat yet again underneath one of the tents to people watch. I sighed to then look at my hand that Francesca kindly bandaged for me as I then hear giggling behind me and a voice that sounds like Cressida Cowper say, "Poor girl, I knew something was off with Lord Bridgerton choosing her for a courtship to begin with." Before I could even shed another tear, I heard another voice say, "Do you ever shush your mouth Cressida? God's sake, it's annoying to begin with."

"Pardon me?" Cressida asks in disbelief of such manner as I turned to see who said that towards her and then was shocked to see who was defending me, Prudence Featherington, Penelope's older sister.

"You and your mother have been so rude to her since her arrival back into Ton, why is that? Is it because you're jealous she's able to get a man on her arm and not you?" Prudence responds as Cressida hmphs and make haste away from behind me with the other gaggle of ladies in tow. She then look towards me and I nodded my head slightly in thanks as Prudence walks off to another area of the gardens, guess I can add another Featherington to my list of nice people.

"Are you okay?" I hear another voice ask as they sat down in the seat opposite of me and I turn back to see it was Simon, who appears to have just arrived in time. I knew he wouldn't be long to join the fun.

"Honestly, I don't know," I respond as I wince from squeezing and stretching out my injured hand to prevent cramping from coming upon it, "Squeezed a glass too hard and the jagged, broken pieces cut it."

"Y/N," Simon says as he put his hand over my free one in comfort, "You don't have to be strong for me and not a soul is looking towards us if you need to cry."

"Simon, I-" I started to say until I drift my eyes over to where Edwina and Anthony were sitting to see them smiling as well as seem to be enjoying their conversation, "It's my fault, I did say he could end it if he found a better match. Obviously he did, so I have to be strong and civil about it."

"It is in no way your doing, Y/N. It's his' and he's a foul git for not telling you sooner and stringing you along," Simon responds as he follows my gaze and asks, "Are you mad at Edwina too?"

"No, it's obvious she feels a connection she wants to try out so I can't blame her for accepting the request," I said as I shook my head and notice Kate walking over to take her seat next to Edwina's, "I care more about how Kate feels about this whole thing, considering she's been looking for Edwina's match."

After a few moments of silence, I tap Simon on the shoulder and mention, "Looks like the boys are getting ready for the hunt, you joining?"

"Wouldn't miss it for anything, and it also looks like Kate's joining," Simon says as he gets up from his seat but before he leaves, he leans down to whisper, "Are you going to be okay?" I nodded my head and whispered back, "I'll be fine, just go and have fun."

After Simon left to tag along with the rest of the group, I look around and notice all the ladies as well as their children talking among themselves to then rub my hands over my face to steady myself again. I let my hands rest in their spot for a few more seconds when I hear someone take a seat next to me again.

"Simon, I thought I told you I would be fine-" I started to say before I stop mid-sentence when I see who took the seat Simon was in, "I apologize Lord Lumley, I thought you were the Duke for a moment."

"It is totally okay, Lady L/N, I just wanted to come over to see if you were alright and see if I could give you company," Lord Lumley says as I nod my head and smile at his kind gesture to start a conversation.