chapter seventeen : a birthday suprise

"Rachel's getting here in ten minutes

"Rachel's getting here in ten minutes." Lee said as he got dressed as Batman, Elle was actually Robin and Tessa was Catwoman. "Is Noah gonna be here tonight?" Tessa asked. "He told me last night he was leaving for Harvard today." Lee said and she nodded a bit sad about that.

"He just didn't want to be around here." Lee said and Tessa turned towards her two best-friends. "But hey, it's for the best. I mean, I think you did the right thing. Don't you?" Lee asked and Tessa struggled to reply with a, "Yeah." Elle saw she was almost going to cry due to Noah's absence.

They blew out the candles after people singing to them. Tessa's parents, her siblings, Lee's parents, Elle's dad and little brother were there as well as the students from their school. "So, what'd you wish for?" Sara asked the three kids. "No, you know the rules." Lee told them. "Rule Number One: Only your best friend gets to know your birthday wishes." Tessa narrated.

"So, how about you?" Elle asked after her and Lee told her their wish. "No wish this year." Tessa told them. "Okay." Lee said a bit curious on what's going on with Tessa as Elle knew what was happening with her best-friend. Tessa wanted someone around but he wasn't there.

Tessa danced with Lee, Rachel, Elle and Logan as she began to see couples dance together and kiss. It began to make her tear up as she looked up towards Noah's room seeing the lights shut off. She remembered their Kissing Booth kiss, it made her heart break causing her to leave.

"Tess?" Elle asked. "Hey! Where you going?" Lee asked her. As Rachel and Logan watched. "I can't keep doing this." Tessa said as a tear fell down her cheek. "Doing what?" Elle asked. Tessa then ran off causing her two best-friends to follow. "Tessa, what's wrong?" Lee asked.

"Hey! Tessa!" Elle called out and Lee said, "Tess, You're acting all weird." Tessa took a breath and admitted the truth, "I love you guys. And I always, always want to be close to you two. But being my best friend, Lee... Doesn't give you the right to tell me or Elle who we can love." Tessa said.

She took a breath and Elle joined in and said, "She's right, Lee. It's like with Rachel. What if Tessa and I didn't like having her around? What would you do then?" "I guess I'd break up with her." Lee told them. "No, you see? You shouldn't have to do that just because we didn't want you to be with her." Tessa said.

"No. Come on, Tess. This isn't the same thing as with Noah and you know that." Lee told her. "Okay. Listen to me, Lee. We made up our rules when we were six." Tessa said and Lee asked her, "What are you saying?" The words that Tessa has been wanting to admit came right out of her mouth...

" Tessa said and Lee asked her, "What are you saying?" The words that Tessa has been wanting to admit came right out of her mouth