The Cold, Dead Silence

The man groaned as I kicked him in the stomach. He fell to the ground. "What the hell, man? This ain't none of your business." He said, still on the ground. "You made it mine when you came out here." I said, walking towards his truck. I opened the doors, to see two young women handcuffed to the truck. "Where's the key?" I asked, sternly, walking back to him. "I'on know man, my boss has it." He said. "Wrong answer." I responded, kicking him once more. "Okay, okay. It's in my pocket. But he'll kill me man, please. Help a brother out." The man begged, sighing. "You should be more worried about what I'll do," I said before taking the keys and uncuffing the girls. "Run, hurry. Don't stop till you know you're safe." I told them.

"Who the hell are you? And how can you see through that mask over your eyes?" The man asked, trying to stand up. "Sight is overrated." I replied, kicking him back onto the ground again. Then, as I turned my back to walk again, he pulled out his gun from his waist and shot me.
The bullet pierced my shoulder, as I fell into my knees. But that's when I saw him, jumping off a rooftop, onto the ground. He punched the criminal back to the ground, grabbed the gun, and unloaded it.

FLASHBACK: BAY OF HELL

I awoke after being splashed with a bucket of water. "Agh," I said, opening my eyes. Me and my father were tied to a chair. "Dammit." He said. "Dad? What's happening?" I asked. "I'm sorry, Matthew. I thought I'd have more time." My father said, sorrowfully. Almost regretful. "What? What're you talking about?" I was still somewhat distorted.

That's when we heard the gunshots. Men yelling. We were in a tent, tied to wooden chairs. Me and my dad looked at each other, confused. The man who woke us up, ran outside to defend his territory. We could hear things smashing, guns being fired all over the place.. and then one by one, the gunshots would stop. Until eventually.. it was just silence. Eerie, cold, dead silence.  My heartbeat grew faster. And then, someone walked into the tent. One man. "How could he have stopped all those soldiers by himself?" I pondered to myself.

He was old, frail, and a little tall. But the oddest part was that his eyes were clear. The dude was blind. "Of course it was you." My dad said. "Wait, you know him?" I asked. He sighed, and gave me a nod. The man walked toward me, and cut me and my dad loose. "How do you know my dad?"
"It's complicated. Now follow me, kid, we've gotta get moving." He responded, walking out of the tent. "I promise, son, I'll explain everything later. But for now we have to get safe." My dad told me, as he put his hand on my shoulder. I nodded, not knowing what else to do. What could he say that would make any sense?
"What do I call you?" I asked the man, as we walked towards the forest, stepping over dozens of dead bodies.

NOW:

"Abaddon? What the hell are you doing in my city?" I asked, as I tried to stand up. He chuckled. "Your city? Yeah right. You haven't done shit. I'm gone for a split second and the city turns to five different kinds of hell." He replied. I sighed. "A split second? You've been gone for two years. Do you know the things I've had to do to survive? What I've had to become? I had nobody, and you abandoned me. You left me on the island, and you're gonna leave me again. You only care about yourself, and you're here because you need something. So spit it out." I demanded.

"What did I tell you when we first met, kid? When I first trained you?" He responded. I sighed, and turned the other way as I shook my head. "You remember it don't you, kid? Nobody feels sorry for you. No one ever has, and no one ever will. This is a war we're dealing with. That's why I trained you. So get over it, before your arrogance gets you killed."