45. Day Twenty of Growing

Scrubs

Scrubs.

He's wearing scrubs.

Light blue scrubs.

And glasses.

And standing in front of me.

Elliot Kingsley is standing in front of me in light blue scrubs and a pair of glasses and smiling.

And I'm supposed to know how to function like a normal human being?

Even behind his glasses, and despite the tiredness I'm sure he's feeling, Elliot's eyes shine unlike any other set of eyes.

Is it just me or does he look taller in scrubs?

It definitely looks like he knows his way around a brain.

Does he know the kind of effect he has on me right now?

He's holding his arms up, almost in defense.

"Give me ten minutes," he says, almost panting, "I'll shower and be right back. Okay?"

I nod.

He grins.

He disappears.

I swallow slowly and turn and see Ray leaning against the doorframe to the living room and smirking at me.

"Quick, Julie," she snaps her fingers, "What's the name of that dog that drools a lot?"

I roll my eyes at her and Juliet bites down a smile.

She was let in on The Big Secret because she is, after all, Ray's wife.

The only problem I have with that is that Isa is going to absolutely annihilate me when she finds out.

Elliot and I decided to wait a while before telling the others.

I sink into the couch and look over at my packed and tagged suitcases in the hall behind Ray.

When my eyes meet hers again, she gives me a small, almost sad smile and walks over to me.

Sitting next to me, putting her arm around me and pulling me closer, Ray squeezes me as tightly as she possibly can. "I'm going to miss you, Al and I know for a fact that I'm not the only one in the house who will."

I smile, but roll my eyes at her.

"No, seriously. You think he would have driven straight over from a million-hour shift if he wasn't going to miss you?" she asks me.

I sigh deeply, trying not to think of the impending sadness that will fill me when I have to say goodbye to Elliot again. "Your brother is some weird machine that runs far longer than anyone else."

Ray squeezes me again. "He's a weird machine who likes you. That's why he can run for so long."

Mrs. Kingsley walks into the living room at that moment and looks around at us. "Weren't you leaving fifteen minutes ago when I said my goodbyes?"