Chapter 4

The nine year old jumped awake. She was in the living room, alone. But she could hear voices coming from the kitchen. It concerned her to hear Yelena sound so upset.

"What happens if they find you?" the widow asked and she listened to another voice answering. "What would happen to Vera?" Yelena interrupted the other person, to which she frowned slightly, not understanding why they were talking about her.

"Nothing would happen because they're not going to find me" that time she recognized the voice, it was the woman that had stopped her from running away.

"Not you. But I doubt your Avengers friends are as skilled as you are to hide and lay low, Natasha" Yelena snapped at the woman.

The little girl closed her eyes for a few seconds, focusing on two words. Avengers and Natasha as Natasha Romanoff, the Black Widow.

"Vera looked down as soon as she was in front of the door of Dreykov's office, waiting for him to let her walk inside.

She knew being called to his office could mean being praised or being scolded. And there were widows that never came back to the program, which, honestly, she did not want to know what happened to them.

At only seven years old, she had walked inside that room more times than she was able to count. Normally, she was praised for her hard work, for doing as asked, but a few times she had been scolded for being sloppy or too considerate with her opponents. She was forced to kill the other girls, older girls, during the fights and if she did not do it, she would be the one receiving the punishment.

"Hello, my child" Dreykov greeted her as soon as the door opened, gripping tightly her shoulder to make her walk along him. "Don't be shy, I only have a few questions for you" he put her in front of the screen, getting her to frown slightly, it was a test. "Do you know who she is?" the General pointed to the picture of a woman and she only needed one look to know the answer.

"Natalia Alianovna Romanova" she answered looking down, her voice barely loud enough to be heard, the grip on her shoulder tightening. "Natasha Romanoff. The Black Widow" she finally stared at the picture from the battle of New York that had happened a few months ago.

"Good" Dreykov smiled, toying with her braided hair. "What did she do?"

"She left the Red Room" she said what she was being told day after day.

"What is she then?" he grabbed her chin to force her to look up when she moved her head away.

"A traitor" she stated.

"And what happened after that?" General Dreykov questioned her, to which she closed her eyes for a few seconds before finding her voice.

"I was created" she answered, hoping that was the answer he wanted to hear.

"You were created, that's right" he nodded. "Whose genetics did I specifically use to create my perfect widow?" Dreykov asked her, but she hesitated for a second. "Answer" he growled, getting her to shiver in fear.

"Natalia's" her voice came out in barely a whisper.

Ever since they had told her about Natalia, she had hoped to meet that woman. She did not truly believe everything they told her about the Black Widow. She had been daydreaming about how their first time meeting would be, wondering if Natalia would be nice and loving.

"Listen to me, my child" the General cupped her face in his hands, her gaze meeting his as she could feel her heart racing. "Natalia Romanova would never see you as her daughter. She would never love you"

The little girl could not avoid flinching at the man's words. There were tears in her eyes, but she controlled her emotions. Widows were made of marble. General Dreykov was not going to see her cry.

"Love is for children, General" she recited exactly what she had been taught to believe.

"Good girl" he patted her head. "Go back to your training" Dreykov told her, to which she nodded.

It was not until she was outside of that room that her tears streamed down her cheeks. She quickly wiped them with her sleeves. Maybe General Dreykov was right and Natalia would never love her."

The young girl whined when she placed her right foot on the floor. She had not meant to be loud, but the conversation in the kitchen stopped shortly before she was met by the two older widows that stared at her with worry in their eyes.

She glanced at the short haired woman. She had been waiting for that moment for years, but it was hard to forget what she had been told back in the Red Room. As far as she knew that woman was a traitor. Natalia Romanova would never love her.

"Are you okay, sweetie?" Natalia asked after a few seconds of just staring at each other.

"You're a traitor" she stated, finding pain in the woman's eyes and for a moment she wondered if Natalia knew about who she was.

The woman sighed before walking closer to her, but she stepped back, being a little unsure about the whole situation.

She frowned, not meeting the green eyes in front of her. She was confused. Natalia was being nice to her, caring, doing exactly the opposite the Red Room had made her believe. And it felt safe to be with her.

"Vera, look at me, please" the feeling of hands touching her face got the young girl to pull away. "I'm so sorry for everything you've been through, sweet girl. I wish I could change that" the woman could not avoid the tears running down her cheeks. "I would really like to be your mama, only if you want me to" Natalia looked directly into her eyes, gently pulling her into a hug.

She hesitated. Dreykov's words were still being repeated in her mind. But once again, she surrendered into the woman's embrace, closing her eyes as the older widow held her close.

There was a smile on the little girl's face as she pressed it against her mother's shoulder. Her green eyes met Yelena's, who smiled at her before trying to hide her tears.

"Natalia?" she murmured, the woman pulling her away a little, just enough to see her face. "You're not leaving me, are you?" she questioned her shyly, trying to make sure that what Dreykov had told her about that woman not wanting her as a daughter was a lie.

"Never, my sweet baby. I will never leave you" the woman answered, to which she nodded slightly, trusting her mama's words.

Hi!!

I have to be honest, at first Vera wasn't going to trust Nat so easily. But, since she kind of did it from the beginning, it didn't feel right to do it that way. That doesn't mean she's not going to have trust issues.

Thanks so much for reading, let me know what you think,

Ayrin