Chapter Forty-seven

Sam Lewis.🥴

~ a day later...

"Sam! Sam! Where is that girl!"

"Coming,"I responded, hurriedly emptying the trash into the large waste bin outside.

I run back inside to the living room where Auntie stood, tapping her foot impatiently.

"Auntie here I –"

"Have you mopped this place?"

"Yeah, sure."

     "So you're becoming blind now huh? Since you came back from school, you never do anything right! The egg you fried for me yesternight was too salty! You claim you swept the compound this morning but I found wrappers littered on it. And now you're insisting you've mopped this place and look at this! So are you trying to tell me that groundnut lying there is part of the floor decor?"

My brows sulked together as I looked at the tiled floor of the living room that I cleaned spotless minutes ago.

Then I felt my eyes twitch at the sight of a groundnut at the foot of the sofa. It hadn't been there before...

"Oh,"I mutter, moving to pick it up before she made extra fuss about it.

Auntie stopped me by a shove on my shoulder,"listen here young lady! I don't condone filth in my house, do you hear me?"

My eyes flickered back and forth hers, trying to tame my annoyance.

"I didn't do it. It most certainly wasn't there until now. I'll just... I'll just pick it off and it's fine."

She scoffed.

"Wow, did you hear that? Now she's all grown! Lecturing me and all."
"Nonsense! You didn't do it so who did? Me?"

I sighed, pressing a finger on my temple. I'm not ready for this. So not ready.

"Please, I was at something before you called me here. It's just a nut,let me pick it and get back to what I was doing."

Wrong words Sam, wrong words.

"What the hell!" Auntie bursted, yanking the front of my shirt roughly to face her,"I'm gonna slap you the next time you talk back at me like you own all the sense in the world! Am I your mate? Or you think because you're schooling at a prominent university so you're above me? A cheek of it! You keep forgetting you're just a nobody. A mere orphan."

I jerked her hands off me without registering, my eyes narrowing to slits and anger rushing into my system at her unfeeling words.

"I'm not a nobody. With all due respect, I'd appreciate if you do not bring that subject up in your rants."

I made a move to pick the fucking groundnut but Auntie pushed me violently, making me hit my waist on the arm of the sofa.

I winced in pain but quickly recovered, snapping my gaze at her.

"What is your problem? Why do you fancy making my life hell?! Just let me understand you, because it's too much. Anything I do doesn't please you..."

I was tempted to add; Are you a witch?

But my conscience won't let me.

Auntie burst into a mocking laugh.

"So what, you want to beat me?"she laughed again, clapping in the process. "Eh? Go on, psycho. Hit me so I can gain grounds to jail you. Easy way to get rid of your sorry self."

I straightened up, deciding to ignore her comments.

"You're just a fool!,"she continued,"Just fucking foolish like your mother was when she saw your dad."