21

"Merry Christmas, Jay," Brennan's voice cut through Jay's dream, waking her slowly. Cracking her eyes open, she peered at Brennan's hand hovering over her with a small box wrapped in red paper.

Jay pulled the covers over her head, groaning loudly. "What time is it?"

"Never mind that," Brennan said as she felt her bed dip with his weight. She glanced at Brennan over the blankets, but his bright smile did not waver. "If you don't want it, I'll just return it then."

Rolling her eyes, Jay sat up in bed and tenderly took the small box in her hand. "Thanks, Brennan. But we could've waited a few more hours before opening gifts." She shot him a playful glare, her mood already heightening. She gingerly untied the bow holding the wrapping paper and opened the lid to reveal a ring with small engravings. As she looked closer, she saw there was a sun and a moon engraved with black on a silver ring.

Raising an eyebrow at Brennan, she voiced her concerns. "Isn't silver potent to werewolves? Are you trying to hurt me?"

Brennan cracked a smile before shaking his head. "It's platinum; this won't hurt you."

Trusting Brennan's word, Jay took the ring from the box and placed it on her middle finger. He was correct; there was no burning of her skin or pain when touching the ring.

"Thank you, Brennan. It's beautiful." She admired the dazzling band wrapped around her finger and gave him a bright smile. "Wait till you see what I got you! I think you're going to like it."

"The rest of the family is already waiting downstairs." Brennan gave a cheeky grin. "They weren't as happy to be woken up, so we should hurry and get down there."

Jay nodded in understanding. She could see Reagan enjoying Christmas morning a little more than her brother, but Kieran seemed like he would be a scrouge. "I'll be down in a minute." She promised, and Brennan left her to herself.

Admiring the ring on her finger, Jay made her way to the adjoining bathroom in her room and quickly combed her hair before brushing her teeth and exiting her room with fast steps. Her excitement showed more prominently now as she made her way downstairs. Jay was excited for the siblings to open the gifts she had bought them. Jay hoped they liked them as she put in some deep thought when picking them out.

"There's sleeping beauty." Sarcasm rolled off of Kieran's tongue with ease. He briefly looked up from the newspaper held open before going back to skim its contents.

Jay stuck her tongue out at him while sitting on the couch beside Raegan, who held a steaming cup of coffee close to her nose. "Awake?" Jay asked with laughter bubbling in her throat.

Raegan replied with a groan, cracking her eyes open before taking a sip of her coffee. "I will never get used to Brennan's excitement for Christmas."

"It's a fun holiday," Brennan replied while discretely looking over the presents underneath the Christmas tree he had decorated with Jay's help. "It makes me feel more human."

Jay pursed her lips as she watched Brennan. She knew this was special to him when he started to get an exciting glow to him the closer this date came. So, Jay helped him with the decorations and the Christmas cookies, sharing her family's recipe with him. In a way, it made things seem normal, which she desperately needed.

"Alright," Jay said while smiling at the siblings. "Who opens their gifts first?"

"It's tradition for the youngest to open their gifts first," Brennan said while looking at Raegan.

Raegan waved her hand, her eyes still half-closed. "I've been opening my gifts first for centuries now. Jay, go for it."

"Well, I wouldn't want to ruin family tradition." Laughing, Jay accepted the multiple gifts that Brennan handed to her. Most were placed by her feet, while others were on the couch beside her. She started by opening the smallest one, which had Raegan's name scribbled on a tag.