Spice

The crew of misfits spent three days hiking through the Earth Kingdom, their journey to Ba Sing Se being a long one

     The crew of misfits spent three days hiking through the Earth Kingdom, their journey to Ba Sing Se being a long one. Each step they took that got them closer to the Great City, Rein's heart pounded in her chest. A piece of her that felt neglected for such a long time was springing back to life, beating harder and harder.

     "It's going to storm." Kireina spoke, warranting strange looks from her friends. The group of teens all gazed at the clear blue sky in confusion.

     "Are you colorblind?" Smellerbee asked, baffled. Jet stood behind her with his arms crossed and his signature straw stem hanging from his mouth. Unlike the others, Jet was intrigued.

     "Come here." She ordered, beckoning the younger girl to stand next to her. Smellerbee was weary but complied nonetheless, moving slowly towards Rein. "Jeez, I'm not going to hurt you, relax Smelly."

     "Stop calling me that!"

     "Hush and stand still. Take some deep breaths and feel the wind on your skin." Rein instructed her. "Notice how with each breath the wind seems to pick up?"

     Smellerbee nodded before furrowing her brows together, "You're just using your airbending!"

     "This is pointless. You're not going to believe me no matter what I do-"

     "Rein, keep explaining. I want to learn." Jet interrupted Kireina abruptly, stopping her from going on a tangent. Something she seemed to do daily. Smellerbee constantly challenged Rein, always a skeptic when conversing with the teen. Jet, growing sick and tired of their endless bickering, had to play peacemaker.

     Rein met his gaze and nodded curtly, "Iroh taught me a few different ways to tell if rain is approaching. Only after we learned the hard way of course but that's a story for a rainy day... Ha! Get it?"

     Jet smirked at her while Pipsqueak cackled in the background, making a large smile grow on Rein's face.

     "Look up at the sky, when was the last time you saw a bird fly past? Have you even heard an animal make a peep since high noon? The wind is slowly picking up, the animals have hidden and the pinecones have curled up. It's going to rain, and with all of this humidity, I'd say it's going to be torrential. I say we make camp before it's too late."

     The crew all stared at her dumfounded, no one moving from their spots. Their eyes would shift from Rein to Jet, awaiting his queue to get a move on. Kireina rolled her eyes and huffed before pushing past the group to go find a safe place to rest.

     "You heard her! Let's set up camp." Jet barked.

     "Jet, you're just going to believe everything she says? What if she's wrong and we end up wasting our time?" Smellerbee questioned her leader, annoyed that Rein had him under some spell.