I'd Like That

(Back to Jayce's POV)

I hadn't expected for Aydrian to kiss me back, but she did. Her lips touched mine and I lost all sense of reality, all of my problems disappeared, leaving only thoughts of how perfectly our mouths molded together. When I pulled away I noticed her watching me, her gaze fixed on the side of my face. It wasn't until she sniffled that I realized it was still raining buckets on us and she must be incredibly cold.

We made our way back to the car, never once letting go of the others' hand until the warmth of the car enveloped us. The ride was quiet as we snuck glances at each other only hoping that the other wouldn't notice. By now it was 7:02pm and in fifty-eight minutes I would be driving to pick up Evie from Amara's house.

"Did you want to stay the night?" I must have startled Aydrian with my question because she jumped a little in her seat at the sudden sound of my voice echoing through the silence that previously sat between us.

She looked as though she was contemplating my offer before a smile took over her features and she said, "I'd like that."

                                      •••
Evie was waiting outside on the porch when I went to pick her up. She noticed Aydrian in the front seat so she opened the door to the back and climbed in, yelling out a 'thank you' to Amara who was standing against the door frame. Once her door was shut and she was buckled in I drove off.

"Hey Aydrian," Evie chirped from the backseat.

"Hey," Aydrian responded.

"Jayce, is she staying the night again?" Evie asked.

"Yes, she is," I said.

"Cool."

The rest of the car ride we listened to the faint music on the radio. When we arrived home Evie went straight upstairs and took a shower while Aydrian and I watched The Office and ate the chips that she had brought over earlier. Sadly, the ice cream she brought melted significantly and created a pool of chocolate on the coffee table which we had to wipe up. Evie finished showering and yelled down 'goodnight' to us before closing her bedroom door.

I couldn't stop looking over at Aydrian, specifically at her lips. It had barely been two hours and I already craved to feel them against mine again, to taste the faint flavor of her watermelon chapstick. Each time she'd catch me staring I'd turn my head away and pretend to be focusing on the show or the bag of chips in between us. She would giggle at my failed attempts to hide my staring and I'd blush intensely at the melodic sound of her laughter. We were acting like two kindergartners, shying away from the other's gaze as if looking each other in the eye would be the biggest sin to this heavenly force we had created within the two of us.

Aydrian yawned and I took that as a sign that we should head to bed. I turned off the show and put away the snacks as Aydrian made her way up the stairs. I followed shortly after. She stepped inside and headed straight for my closet, grabbing a new hoodie, since hers was still damp from the droplets of rain that rested upon it. When we got home we hadn't thought to change our clothes, or at least I hadn't, because all I could think about was the fact that I had kissed Aydrian and Aydrian had kissed me back. She continued rummaging through my closet until she found the pair of sweats that I had let her borrow the first time she spent the night. With both the sweats and a grey hoodie in her hand, she walked over to the bathroom and closed it behind her. I changed into sweats and a plain white t-shirt in my room while she changed in the bathroom.

Aydrian came back out of the bathroom and jumped onto her stomach on my bed. She nuzzled her head into the pillow and sighed in comfort of finally being warm again. This time we didn't argue who slept where as I slipped into bed beside her. I turned on my side, propping my head up with my shoulder as I looked at Aydrian who remained on her stomach with her eyes closed. She opened one of her eyes and smiled at me before rolling over onto her back.

The silence we shared said all the words that our mouths wouldn't dare to. We just looked at each other, taking in the beauty of the other. Every time she smiled my heart would beat faster at the sight of her eyes crinkling and her lips turning upward. She had a beautiful smile, one that could lighten up any room with just one glance of it. There were patches of light freckles that ran over her nose and across her cheeks. I lifted my finger to trace them and she seemed surprised by my sudden gesture but didn't protest against it.

The words left my mouth before I could even think about what I was saying, "you are the most gorgeous woman I've ever seen."

Aydrian's face lit up at my comment and she giggled as she covered her eyes. She looked cute when she was nervous and didn't know what to do with herself. I watched her as she slowly removed her hands and looked back at me.

"You're the most handsome man I've ever seen," she responded. I only smiled in response to her.

I laid on my back facing the ceiling with my arms behind my head. Aydrian hesitantly rolled next to me, her body pressed against mine and left a single kiss on my neck before resting her head on my chest. My arm made its way around her slender figure as I leaned into her. We remained that like, holding each other as our breathing slowed meaning that sleep was finally pulling this perfect night to a close.