TWENTY-FOUR

The girl rode her horse to the Bridgertons. She needed to get there quickly and waiting for a carriage would be too slow. Besides, she did not want to wake anyone up.

Luckily for her, she saw Daphne and Colin just about to leave. "Daphne!"

The girl turned around to see who it was. "Lillie?"

Lillie got off her horse and approached the two. "Do you know where Anthony is?"

"We are just about to go see him." Daphne explained.

"Don't tell me he has already left?"

"You know." Daphne asked as Lillie nodded. 

"We shall go. Now." Colin said to the two girls as the three of them set off to find Anthony and the Duke. The girl tapped her horse to go faster. She didn't want to believe that she was too late. For all she could know Anthony could be laying on the floor dying.

From her vision she could see both Anthony and the Duke ready to fire. Her heart rate increased. Any minute now she could possibly lose her best friend. "C'mon Eclipse. Faster."

Daphne was ahead of Lillie and Colin as she rode her horse in the middle of Anthony and Duke as a gunshot was heard. "Stop." Daphne's horse whinnies as the girl fell onto the floor. Lillie stopped her horse as she got off and ran towards her friend.

"Sister! Stand aside!" Anthony yelled, crouching down to check on his sister as well as the Duke. "Oh good God."

"Are you hurt? Tell me!" Simon yelled, equally concerned with the possibly of the Bridgerton girl being shot.

Lillie was relieved to see Daphne well and getting back up. "I am perfectly well, no thanks to you idiots."

"What are you playing at?"

"Says the man who just shot at me!"

"You rode into the middle of a duel!"

"I require a moment with the Duke."

"Daphne..." Anthony tried stopping his sister.

"I require a moment with the Duke." Daphne repeated. 

"Make it brief." Benedict said as Daphne and Simon went off to talk. Lillie was glad to see her best friend well and alive but she was angry at what just happened.

"You idiot!" Lillie hit him.

"Lillie." Anthony gulped as he turned around to face the girl.

"Are you an idiot or just plain stupid? How could you possibly do this? To your sister, your family, to me!" Lillie shouted.

"Lillie you should not be here. Why is she here?" Anthony asked Colin to which he just simply shrugged.

"She is right here." Lillie pointed to herself as both Bridgerton brothers' attention went back to her. "And she is absolutely angry at how stupid you are. You leave me a note stating you love me. Then you send me a puppy to replace your company after you are dead? Why!"

"Did you like the puppy at least?" Anthony jokes. He knew what he did to the girl was shitty. But he was alive now. So he should be forgiven right?

"This is not the time. You think a puppy will make me forget about this?"

"I'm sorry Lillie. I've been the biggest rake ever but I had a duty."

"For once in your life Anthony, stop thinking about what your duty is for this family and start thinking about yourself. You could have died. What would have I done to myself if you were gone." Lillie confessed, she felt tears coming down.

Anthony looked away from the girl. He couldn't look at her. If he did, he would lose everything and cave in, which he can't. "I am a gentleman and I had a duty to protect my family, my sister. But I am sorry I have caused you pain. Please forgive me. I shall spend years making it up to you."

Lillie smiled. "You got me a puppy."

"I did." Anthony smiled back.

"Then all is forgiven." With that the two embraced each other in a tight hug. None of them wanted to let go.

From afar Benedict and Colin watched the two. They couldn't help but think about how much of a different person Anthony is when he's with Lillie.

They weren't complaining however. If anything they liked that side of their older Brother. It was a side of him that was lost when their father passed and he had to take care of the Viscount duties. 

✄-----------------------------

my favorite chapter so far!!