TWENTY-SIX

"You and your Grace are getting married?" Lillie asked as she watched Daphne try on some wedding dresses.

"We are yes."

The girl couldn't help but sense no excitement in her voice. "Is something the matter? You don't seem excited."

"I, I just..." Daphne hesitated. She suddenly got off the platform she was standing on and took a seat next to the Pendermore girl. "You must promise me you shall not tell a soul about what I am to tell you."

"I promise." Lillie stuck out her pinky for the Bridgerton girl to loop her's and both kissed it. "Now tell me."

Daphne sighed. "You remember the duel with my Brother and the Duke?" Lillie nodded as Daphne continued. "This engagement just does not feel genuine. Sure I like the Duke and all but it isn't love. And I want to marry for love."

"But the Duke agreed, shouldn't that mean something? That he is willing to try."

"We simply had to as Cressida saw us kissing in the garden." Daphne explained.

Lillie pouted. "And she would tell everyone what she saw."

Daphne nodded. "And I simply cannot do that to the Bridgerton name my Mama, Papa, my Brother who worked so hard to give me a good life, a good reputation."

Lillie didn't like seeing her friend like this. She knew how much the girl wanted to marry for love. They both did. But she can see it in her eyes the way she looks at the Duke. It might not be love just yet, but they'll slowly get there.

"I just thought it would be more exciting as the way he would propose. I imagine we would promenade and he would get down on one knee and ask. He just doesn't seem too excited about the matter. I simply don't even know what to think."

Lillie sighed. "Does he make you feel butterflies?"

"Pardon?"

"Everytime you see your Grace, do you feel as if his presence makes you incapable of breathing properly?"

"What?" Daphne was confused. She didn't understand that feeling her friend was talking about.

"You know when you see him it is nearly impossible for you to look away whenever he is here. Your eyes linger towards him every moment." Lillie explained.

"Is that how you feel about Prince Friedrich?"

Lillie sighed, not knowing how to answer the question. She didn't know if she truly loved the Prince yet. It was too soon. But she was sure, given the time, she will. "I'm not sure."

"Well I for one love both of you together. You will be a princess."

Lillie chuckled. "He is to play Pall Mall. I just wish my Brothers will not make me look like a fool. He is the only one I believe will propose. If he doesn't, then I have no one."

Daphne sighed. "Lillie you do not need to think like that. You are a beautiful, strong lady. If Prince Friedrich cannot simply see that, he is an idiot. And besides, my Brother will gladly marry you. He loves you."

Lillie shook her head. She was tired of hearing everyone say this when it isn't even the love she wanted. "Anthony does not love me that way. We are simply just friends."

Daphne chuckled as she found it funny for both her friend and brother to think that about each other. It was obvious they loved one another more than friends. It was overly frustrating that they are not together yet, but what was she to do about it?

They were both as stubborn as a bull.