CHAPTER 11

CHAPTER 11

When Sarah reached the penthouse, she called Aviraj. However, her cousin didn't answer her call. She was fuming. Her frustration increased with every passing second. She wanted to strangle Aviraj and Chris.

"Idiots," she mumbled.

She was restless because she wanted answers. If her cousin was out of reach, she had another person who knew the truth. With determination, she left the penthouse.

She rang the bell on her neighbor's door. No one answered. She pressed the button again, letting it ring for a few seconds. But all in vain.

"This must be important if you're knocking on my door with that expression on your face."

Sarah whirled around and glared at Chris who was leaning against the wall. His stance was so relaxed.

"Yes, it is important."

"Okay." He shrugged and unlocked the door, gesturing her to enter. Sarah was hesitant. She didn't want to be alone with him. Not that she was scared of him; it was just a reflex. She didn't want to be at disadvantage. Sarah ground her teeth because a deep seated fear was again making her do things she didn't want to.

When she looked at Chris, he had his eyes narrowed at her. He saw her hesitating. Much to her relief, he didn't say anything.

Strengthening her resolve, Sarah entered Chris's penthouse. A strong feeling washed over her. She felt as she belonged here. She believed in fate and it was one of the rarest occasions when fate signaled her.

"Coffee?" Chris asked.

"Er... no."

"Are you sure? You look like you need caffeine."

"I don't operate on caffeine," she shot back. "Unlike you," she mumbled under her breath. But the playful smirk on Chris's face told her that he had heard her. She wasn't going to apologize because he was a coffee addict. Poor Crystal, who was always fetching him his coffee.

"Then what do you prefer? Tea?"

"Yeah. Tea is tastier than this black liquid."

"Really? I never had the chance to taste it. Are you inviting me for a drink?"

Sarah opened her mouth to answer him but closed it. Chris had tenancy to manipulate the situation for his benefit. That much she had undersold. How smoothly he had made it sound as if she wanted to go out with him. Therefore, ignoring him was the safest approach.

As he brewed coffee for himself, Sarah took that opportunity to look around. His penthouse had minimalistic decoration style. She was astonished that place was clean. She had cousins who never liked cleaning their rooms, and that had always irritated her.

"Don't get your hopes up, sweetheart. I don't clean my place myself. My housekeeper does. I'm a messy person." Chris had his undivided attention on her.

Sarah's cheeks reddened slightly at his remark. She was caught. The more uncomfortable fact was that how easily he had read her expressions.

"What? I... I um... I wasn't thinking about that."

"I'm sure, you weren't," although he sounded so sincere, that wasn't the case.

"I wasn't."

"And I believe you." He tilted his head to the side.

She huffed.

"I want to ask you something," she said.

"Please wait, darling. I need my coffee."