6 | happy new year

HANEUL, EVEN IN her worst nightmares did not think a day like this would come

HANEUL, EVEN IN her worst nightmares did not think a day like this would come. She had no clue why... two things happened.

The first one, which she knew she would regret till the day she goes six feet under- or will she, her subconscious thought - and she wondered. She had no clue, not even a bit on why, why on earth she had asked her best friend to date her.

Who the fuck would do that?

Oh, of course, the living example was right in front of the mirror she used to look in every day. Herself.

Well, rephrasing that, she did not technically ask Taehyung to date her. She just asked him to pretend like dating her, so that her parents won't drill holes in her head with the whole 'You're old and you should marry and make grandchildren for us' agenda. She was just twenty-six, for heaven's sake! She still had to work and earn and go visit at least fifteen countries before settling down and marrying some random dude who didn't even know her left toe's name.

Maybe, that's a bit too much, no?

Who cares, that wasn't the point. The point was... she asked Taehyung to "fake-date" her. Maybe it was the champagne she had that night. Or maybe it was the steak. Haneul knew she didn't fit in the rich cult anyway.

She regretted it the second it slipped out of her mouth. But Taehyung, being the fabulous friend he is, Lord bless him, just smiled at her.

That brings us to the second thing. He said yes.

Why would he do that, you ask? Haneul didn't even know herself.

"It'll kill two birds from the same stone," he had claimed.

Well, of course. He was also facing the same problems as she was, and well... thinking back now, it would be very easy to convince their parents respectively that they were dating. Taehyung and Haneul were practically joined by the hip since they became best friends in high school. It was ridiculous, really, but now, she was so glad.

Like every best friend, both of them had grown as people during their middle school to high school phase and went in their own ways. They had stopped hanging out or doing homework together. Taehyung had found a group of smart guys like him to accompany him. And the same for Haneul. She had gotten just one friend, but she was her best friend. May.

Haneul was so thankful that May was her best friend. Sure, both of them had grown into people with different thoughts and opinions, but May never let that get in between their friendship. She always included Haneul in her plans and asked her to hang out despite being declined. Haneul was very focused on her grades during school, as it would help her to go to a good University and thus get her dream job. A personal secretary for the CEO of a multinational company.

But then, one not so fine day during high school, Taehyung and Haneul were reconnected by the stupidest thing on the earth, but she was so thankful that the teenager herself was actually stupid.