Chapter 33 - This is going to be the world falling apart

Ye Yao is so distant from him, so determined in his voice, that Lu Xun is half sitting on the bed, the bruises on the back of his hand holding the bedside rail.

What does it mean to give up illusions that you shouldn't have?

All nerves were screaming to pull Ye Yao, who was far away from him, into his arms and restore everything to the way it was before.

But he can't do that now.

"Sleep over." Lu Xun's voice was deep.

Ye Yao did not say anything, but just looked at Lu Xun quietly.

Lu Xun took two breaths and eased his voice, "I won't do anything, you see, we used to sleep like this even when we didn't have the same bed and I didn't bother you."

Ye Yao pursed his lips as he glanced under the bed, his eyes sweeping over the other members of the dormitory.

Xiao Pang and Wen Ke were actually both in the dormitory, except that they were playing a game with their headphones on, occasionally voicing out the lines and concentrating.

In retrospect, since he started staying out at weekends and then returning to the dormitory, Xiao Pang and Wen Ke's frequency of having their headphones on increased dramatically, as if they were afraid of hearing some secret news.

Ye Yao once again locked eyes with Lu Xun, who looked at him unblinkingly, his previous harsh words not giving Lu Xun the slightest idea of backing down.

Ye Yao sighed and instead of lying down to talk to Lu Xun again, he sat up and moved to the end of the bed where he was close to Lu Xun.

Lu Xun's voice was tight: "Now I'm not sleeping in the same bed as you, just trying to sleep head to head in two beds is a fantasy too?"

Ye Yao lowered his voice and tried to reason with Lu Xun calmly: "Lu Xun, I like men, you already know that."

"So what?" Lu Xun asked quickly and quietly in return.

"So sleeping so close together is not good for you or me." Ye Yao said slowly, "That's something you should think about better than I do."

Lu Xun eyes Ye Yao with a sullen gaze, the tips of his fingers whitening as he grips the bedside rail.

"Knowing you were homophobic, it was my fault for hiding so much physical contact with you before, and I apologize for that. With the difference in our status now, there is a lot of contact that is not allowed anymore." Ye Yao put the record straight, if it was before he would have had to rack his brain for excuses, but now he could say it openly.

Lu Xun's expression is stiff and Ye Yao cannot tell what he is thinking.

Probably he couldn't let go of the friendship and was torn by the difference in aptitudes between them.

"Don't you apologise to me, you ......" Lu Xun took a deep breath, Ye Yao's apology hitting a deeper nerve than his previous words.

Many people say in a playful tone that wives can do no wrong, and if they do, please re-read the ordinance Wives Can Do No Wrong.

But as far as Lu Xun is concerned, he is serious that Ye Yao can do no wrong, and if it appears to be wrong, it must be the fault of someone else.

For example, it's definitely his fault now.

Lu Xun scratched his hair as he suddenly fell down in frustration, "It's my fault, I used to do that kind of thing all the time and call gay men disgusting in front of you, feel free to scold me."

Ye Yao softened his voice, "You didn't know about this before, and now that we've talked sense into each other, you can go sleep at the other end too Lu Xun, it's not good for me to use my feet on you."