lxxxvii. i am allowed no peace to go on my date night

chapter eighty-seven

─── i am allowed no peace to go on my date night

          𝕯ate nights were my favourite thing that Luke and I had put into place after hitting our 1 year anniversary. Once a week, we would do something together whether it was going to an aquarium, or to the park, or a nice date out. Tonight, Luke had thought it best to go stargazing on the beach that we had our first date at.

"Okay, come on, remember. I taught it to you!" Luke prodded at my ribs as I laughed, batting his hands away. "Look, three stars in a row."

"It's Orion. I've already told you this!" Luke then laughed, pressing a kiss to my lips as the sea calmly lapped at the shore. This was our break, especially as next week was supposedly the birthday that I destroyed Olympus on. Cheery. "Told you I knew it."

"I thought you had been ignoring me." Luke chuckled. "You normally tune out when I start speaking."

"That's because whatever you say is normally bullshit." He laughed again, wrapping his arms around my waist as we relaxed. I was distracted by my lovely boyfriend, not having noticed that a large pegasi was looming over us.

Boss gal! I screeched.

"What the actual hell?" Luke called, both of us turning to look at the horse.

Oh, it's you. Blackjack glared at Luke.

"Blackjack," I sighed. "What are you—"

Then I saw who was riding on her back, and I knew my day was about to get a lot more complicated.

"'Sup, Romy. Luke."

Charles Beckendorf, senior counsellor for the Hephaestus cabin, was smiling down at us. A month before, he'd rigged a Greek firebomb in the bathroom of a tour bus that was carrying a bunch of monsters across country. The explosion took out a whole legion of Kronos' soldiers as soon as the first harpy went flush.

Beckendorf was dressed for combat. He wore a bronze breastplate and war helm with black camo pants and a sword strapped to his side. His explosives bag was slung over his shoulder.

"Time?" I asked, both Luke and I sighing.

He nodded grimly.

A clump formed in my throat. I'd known this was coming. We'd been planning for it for weeks, but I'd half hoped it would never happen.