Chapter 11

Link was no fan of alarms, or even being woken up earlier than his body wanted. He'd been enjoying one of the most blissful and dreamless nights of sleep he'd had in a while, only to be stirred by an annoyingly familiar ringtone. At first, he ignored it, simply screwing his eyes shut and falling back asleep, wrapped in a comfortable warmth. But the noise persisted, no matter how hard he tried to ignore it.   

"Link, get your phone, it's been going off for like twenty minutes," Zelda's sleepy voice filled his ear followed by a painful jab to the ribs.  

"I'm up, I'm up," he insisted when the prodding continued, reaching a hand behind him and groping around for his phone on the bedside table, eyes struggling to open.

His fingers finally grasped the elusive phone, vision groggy as he peeled open an eye and brought the device to his ear, clumsily pressing the large green button. 

"Hello?" he answered with a yawn, pressing closer to the warm person next to him. 

"Link Fern Finley, just where in the silent realm are you right now?" 

Link sat bolt upright, fully awake as Twi's cool voice came ominously from the phone, "Twi?" he sputtered, rubbing at his eyes to clear the fog. "I- uh, I'm" Link searched his brain for a response, sleep numbing the process. "Well, you see, I'm in Lurelin," he mumbled out. 

Twi sighed, most likely rubbing at his temples, "Do I even want to know why or how you got there," he paused for a moment, "I've decided I don't."

"I came to get Zelda," Link supplied, "early this morning." 

"When you say early do you mean twelve last night?" Twi shot back irritably. 

Link cursed silently under his breath. He should have known Twi would figure out he left during the night, "ok, well- just listen-"

"We'll talk when you get back," Twi's voice held a warning tone and he hung up soon after. 

Link allowed himself a few more muttered curses and flopped back onto the plush pillows, glaring down at his phone.   

"Is Twi mad?" Zelda asked softly. 

Link glanced over to her. She'd rolled over and was now propped up on her elbow, brows furrowing as she watched him, though her eyes still held a sleep fogged daze. He shrugged in response and smiled softly. 

"He's just a bit overprotective sometimes, you know. His bark is a lot worse than his bite, " Link tapped his phone and groaned, "and of course he had to call at six in the morning."  

Zelda giggled softly and burrowed back under the blankets, eyes already closed once more, "The first bus doesn't leave till eight," she murmured sleepily, "I'm getting as much sleep as I can." 

With that she was fast asleep, a soft smile on her face and hair splayed on the pillow like a golden halo. For Link, it wasn't quite so easy. He was still dead tired, and grumpy from being woken up so early, but his mind was too busy for sleep. What would he tell Twi? What had happened last night? If he was being honest he wasn't so sure himself.