Chapter 12

"Do you think I should go with the cobalt, midnight, or baby blue?" Zelda asked, quirking her head as she held three dresses up to the mirror. 

Link glanced up at the choices, shrugging vaguely before returning his attention back to his book, "They all look good to me," he supplied. 

"You're no help," Zelda sighed and peered at the dresses again, eyes sweeping over them. She hummed to herself and walked over to her bed, holding the darkest of the three up next to Link's face, "The midnight really goes nice with your eyes," she murmured, nodding to herself. 

"Am I going to be wearing the dress?" Link asked with a chuckle, turning a page with a small flick of his finger. 

"No," Zelda rolled her eyes and sat down next to him on the soft comforter, tucking her legs underneath herself, "but we do want to look good at the gala. Speaking of which, do you have a suit yet?" she let her head drop onto his shoulder, fingers drumming against his knee. 

"Not yet," he replied nonchalantly, "I'll get one later this week though." 

"We should go there," Zelda murmured, pointing to the pictures on the pages depicting sprawling ruins, piles of rubble now home to some of the rarest plants in Hyrule.

"I'll add it to the list," Link smiled, jotting down the name next to a plethora of others, the paper filling at an impressive rate, "though, I'm not sure we'll be able to see all this in a year," he mumbled under his breath. 

"We might just have to go back," Zelda murmured in reply, warm breath against his cheek as she nudged her nose near to his ear, "I certainly couldn't complain if we extended this little trip either." 

Link grinned wider, turned his head, and placed an obnoxiously loud kiss on her cheek, earning a small giggle from Zelda. He peppered a few more playful pecks across her jawline, intent to then return to his book, but Zelda clearly had other plans. She grabbed the collar of his shirt and pulled him back in before he could even complain, not that he would anyway. He quite enjoyed the new and increasingly more common feeling of Zelda's soft lips against his own. It felt all too easy to drift away in the blissful feeling, letting her carry him away as she pulled him closer, hands slipping into his hair. It was a surprise to them both when Link pulled away after only a few moments, his brows knitting and his ear turned toward the hall. 

"What is it?" Zelda asked, vaguely out of breath and face still flushed, "is something wrong?" 

"No," Link shook his head, pulling his arms from around her and sliding off the bed, "I just thought I heard someone's voice."  

"It was probably just Twi or Dusk," Zelda insisted, watching with a disappointed expression when he walked to the door. 

"No, no," Link pulled on the handle and stuck his head into the halfway, straining his ears, "It sounded like Time." 

Zelda followed him and set her head against his shoulder, face scrunched as she tried to hear the voice he'd been talking about. It came again only a few seconds later, muffled words and a hearty laugh, both of which Link recognized instantly. He didn't waste another moment, grabbed Zelda's hand, and pulled her to the stairs.