Shame on you

(Roelynn's P.O.V.)
"That is it for today" Ms Honey called out clapping her hands after the final bell rang, indicating that it was time to go home. I closed my work book and gathered my stuff. "I will see some of you tonight for the parent teacher conference" Ms Honey called after us when we left the classroom. "Oh, Roelynn I have something for you" she said stopping me from leaving. I turned around and watched as she went behind her desk to grab something. She returned and stopped in front of me before squatting down to meet me on my level. With a smile she showed me a book. My eyes looked down at the title, Black Beauty. "You can take it. Its yours". I gladly accepted the book and thanked her before I left to go home.

I arrived home and looked for dad to show him the book. I had no doubt he would like this book aswell. But I couldn't find him anywhere. So I decided to read it by myself, but some words where slightly to difficult for me to understand or even try to pronounce it. So I gave up trying and just admired the cover. "Roelynn!" I heard Lizzie call out from downstairs, "dinner is ready". I don't love Lizzie, but I accept her cause dad likes her. They aren't married and I also don't think they are dating. But it doesn't seem like she accepts me. I went downstairs and sat down at the table. I frowned when I didn't see daddy. "Where is daddy?" I asked looking over at Lizzie. "He's at work" she answered shortly while cutting a piece of meat off. "But we have a parent-teacher conference with Ms Honey at 7" I said poking at a potatoe. "I know, Roelynn. I am the one who gave him the invitation letter. Remember?" she said a bit harsher than normal. "But" I started but before I could continue, I was cut off. "Roelynn. Your father is busy at work, but he will meet you at your school". Giving up with the conversation I just returned to eating my dinner.

After dinner finished I made my way to school. Its not far from my home, only about a 5 to 8 minute walk. Alot of the children walk alone to school and the part of town where I live is very family friendly. I walked inside the school building and towards my classroom. In front there where some chairs, so you could have a seat while you waited. I patiently waited for my turn, but still no sign of dad. My eyes wandered around the hallway trying to find any signs of father arriving. The door to the classroom opened and out walked Finny Shackhalland his parents. "Hello Roe" Finny said with a smile, "hi Finny" I said and waved at him. "See you tomorrow" he said before following his parents. I turned to face Ms Honey, who gave me a questioning look. "Where is your father?" she asked looking towards the empty hallway. I shrugged my shoulders "I don't know" I said softly. "Well, we can wait for him in the classroom" she said and motioned for me to come inside. I followed her and sat infront of the desk on one of the three chairs that where put there. We waited for sometime and I continued to look towards the door, but with every second that passed. I felt sadness fill my stomach. Where is he? He never forgets something, especially if its something to do with me. "Uhm" Ms Honey said wondering on how to start, "your father should really be here. But considering he isn't here we will start". "Can't we wait a little longer?" I begged. She shook her head softly with pittyfull eyes. "We only have 10 minutes left, sweety" She told me. "Then, cant we do something else? Like reading a book?" I asked hopefull. Once again she shook her head "these meetings are about you, Roelynn. So we have to talk about you". I sighed in understanding and took a quick look at the door. Hoping dad would walk inside. Sadly it didn't happen and I dissapointedly hung my head. Ms Honey composed herself and grabbed a file and put it and the desk. She gave me a pityfull look before deciding to talk about me. Eventually the 10 minutes passed and Ms Honey closed the file. "You want me to walk you home, darling?" Ms Honey asked me. I looked up at her and nodded slightly "yes please". She smiled before standing up and grabbing a coat to walk me home. While walking home she asked me lost of questions. About books I read, about the horses, about my friends a family. I enjoyed it. Dad normally listens and doesn't speak or ask question. But Ms Honey asks questions so its different. But I like both types of conversations. We arrived on the driveway and walked towards the big house. Once we got closer the front door suddenly burst open. It was dad, who walked out and he seemed angry, ragefull even "How the hell do you always manage to loose my daughter, Lizzie" it was dad. He had his back to us while he shouted at Lizzie. He turned around and stepped in his tracks, he looked reliefed that I was here but the anger was still there. "Where the hell have you been" he scolded as he walked towards me. "I.. I" I tried to tell him but was a bit scared. "Mr Shelby. I don't think its fair to scold her" Ms Honey said wanting to help me, but was interupted by dad "dont tell me how to raise my child". "If it concerns one of my children, then yes I will" Ms Honey snapped back and the two grown up held a staring contest. Dad scoffed before he returned his eyes to me and reached for me but I moved behind Ms Honey. I instantly spotted the annoyence on his face "Roelynn. Get. Here". He growled and stepped forward to once again reach for me. But this time Ms Honey stepped in front of him, stopping him from getting to me. "She was with me" she snapped at him. His eyes met hers in a question. "Yes, she was with me. For the parent teacher conference. Without you, I will remind you". I looked up at her. No one, besides some family members have ever had the courage to speak back to my father, especially like what Ms Honey was doing now. " Shame on, Mr Shelby. For leaving your daughter like that and then accusing her of running away" she said with disgust in her voice, "I-" Dad said trying to gain ack the power but he failed, "shame on you!". It was silent for a while before dad spoke "my apologize, Ms Honey". "Dont apologize to me. Apologize to your daughter" Ms Honey said stern while folding her arms as she nodded to me. Dad looked down to me and went to his knees. "Roe, I'm sorry I wasn't there with you. I didn't know" he said apolgizing.

(Tommy's P.O.V.)
"But you did know!" she loudly said yelling at me and I could hear the sadness and dissapointment, "Lizzie gave you the letter". "Lizzie?" I asked in question. Roelynn nodded in anger at me. I teied to think if Lizzie has ever given me a letter from Roe's school, but I never recieved anything from her. I returned my attention back to Roe and told her I was sorry. She nodded in understanding before walking towards the house. I was a bit dissapointed that she didn't hugg me but I understood it. I really hurt her and I hated myself for it. With a sigh I stood up and thabked Ms Honey before turning around. "You know" she said stopping me from walking away, "if I where you, I would read the book I had given her with her. She probably will forgive you if you do". I was certainly going to that. The two of us parted our ways and I immediatly went to Roe's room. "What you reading?" I asked Roe when I walked inside, "Black Beauty, Ms Honey gave it to me" she answered back. I nodded and stayed in the door opening as I watched her read. But I soon saw her face turn into a scowl like she was annoyed st something but I didnt quite knew why. She then looked up at me "what those this word mean?" she asked me and pointed to a word on the paper. I walked towards her and looked at the book. I sar down beside her and explained the word and she happily accepted it. She continued to read the book outloud and every time she got stuck on a word I told it and explained what it meant. Eventually, tiredness fell upon her and she laid her head on my chest. I softly rubbed her head and she fell asleep. About 5 minutes later I slowly and carefully pushed her off me and laid her down before tucking her in. I bent down and gave her kiss "Im sorry, my little Roe" I whispered to her once again before leaving her to sleep. I walked through the hallway towards the livingroom where Lizzie was. "Lizzie, can you meet me in my office. I want ro have a talk with you. About a certain invitation from Roe's school about a parent teacher meeting" I told her stern. She gulped but nodded.

Published: 27th of april 2022

Update request by:
TrinaRutten
Storysforuxxx
Margieisbad
Elijahssuit