Chapter Twenty-Two

Loren sat on the edge of her bed, lost in her thoughts. Her mind was drifting to her encounter with the Viscount at Somerset House. 'Sienna' he had said. Which meant that during the entire interaction, he was thinking of Sienna, not her. Loren scolded herself at how stupid she was. She actually believed that there was a possibility that she was the objects of his desires, or the bane of his existence. 

But no, he was simply a rake, just as society had declared him to be.

The woman sighed deeply, rising from her seated position, for she felt overwhelmed and decided a nice walk in the garden would do her good. She exited her bedroom, heading toward the stairs when she saw Daphne running up the staircase, Rose trailing behind her. Loren noticed that the young girl was crying, and this set off her motherly instincts. She followed her, "Daph! What has happened?" She asked, only to be ignored. Daphne ran into her room, slamming the door behind her. When Loren attempted to open it, she realized that the door had been locked. 

Loren turned to Rose, "Do you know what has caused her distress?" Rose shook her head, "She was supposed to meet with the Duke. It seems as though their meeting was cut short, and then Miss Daphne requested to return home." Loren sighed, "Of course it had to do with Simon." She muttered before knocking on the door, "Daphne! Are you alright?" It was a stupid question, for it was quite obvious that the girl was distraught. "Leave me be!" The girl shouted in response. 

Loren sighed, abandoning her thoughts of a walk, and deciding that she would wait at this door until Daphne was ready to talk. In these situations, no one deserved to be alone. And she would not be, because if it truly was the Duke who hurt Daphne, then he would surely be receiving hell from Loren Smith.

***

Sienna Rosso was seated at her vanity, preparing herself for the trip to Madame Delacroix, when a man who worked at the opera house entered, "A gentleman is here to see you." Sienna felt confused, but nodded. The man stepped back to reveal Anthony Bridgerton, in all his rakish glory. Sienna glared at him lightly before glancing back at her mirror, "To what do I owe this unexpected visit?" 

"I wanted to see you." He said softly. Sienna scoffed, "What is it this time? A ball you wish not to attend? A family obligation you prefer to avoid? What, perchance, is the Viscount Bridgerton seeking to escape tonight? Surprising as it may be to you, I do not sit here merely waiting for your visits. I have plans of my own to attend." 

"With the duke?" He asked, jealously and guilt gnawing at him. "My affairs are no longer your concern, sir, as you have already made abundantly clear." Sienna sassed. The man clenched his fists, sighing deeply, "If you are using Hastings in some scheme to vex me, Sienna..." 

"Well, he is certainly a handsome man of great wealth and high rank, everything a woman in my position might want. Your vindictiveness is noted... The duke has not called on me." She said,  "And I am not consorting with any friend of yours." The woman then paused, chuckling, "Though I must say, it is not surprising in the least to know that you are only here because you are jealous." 

Anthony scoffed, "I am not here because I am jealous." He denied. Sienna simply rolled her eyes, rising from her seat before shoving past the man, "Goodbye, my lord," Before the woman could walk any further from him, Anthony grasped her wrist, "I am here because I miss you!" 

He pulled her close, whispering into her ear, "I cannot think of anything else, Sienna. Come back to me." Without another word, Sienna ripped herself out of his embrace, disappointment and sadness gleaming in her eyes, "Your position in life remains unchanged. And so, too, does mine. You are the viscount. Your responsibility will always be to that title, above all else. You shall marry, sire an heir, and guard your family. And I... I shall always be the woman you may love in darkness, but never in the light of day. You have made me promises before, and I, like a fool, believed them. I cannot be your fool again."