THIRTY-SEVEN

1 week ago

"Hello Viscount Bridgerton." Winston greeted.

"Good evening. I know it is quite late but is Jasper here?"

Winston nodded. "Lord Pendermore is in his studies. Shall I escort you there?"

"That would be wonderful thank you Winston."

Winston escorted the Bridgerton boy to Jasper's studies. He knocked on the door. "Lord Pendermore, you have a visitor by the name Viscount Bridgerton."

"Anthony?" Jasper said, standing up from his desk. "What is it you are here at such a late hour?"

Anthony greeted a goodbye to Winston as he closed the door. He made his way towards the seat across from Jasper and sat down. "I have come to ask you something."

"Oh." Jasper poured two glasses of whiskey and handed one to his friend. "What about?"

Anthony let out a breathe and said, "I am asking for your hand to marry your sister, Miss Lillie."

"I beg your pardon?" Jasper was confused.

"I have already spoken to your father and he said yes but it is entirely up to Miss Lillie. But I knew I should also ask for yours as you made it perfectly clear you do not want me with your sister."

"I do not." Jasper said, narrowing his eyes at his friend. "I cannot give you my hand."

"Jasper..."

"I told you before to stay away from my sister."

"I love her!" Anthony shouted. 

Jasper was surprised with his friend's sudden outburst but quickly recovered. "I'm sorry but I cannot give you my hand."

"Why not? It shouldn't be your choice to make."

"You are simply not good enough for my Sister."

Anthony was angry. How would he know he wasn't good enough for her. "How would you know such a thing? It is your sister's decision to say if I am and not good enough for her." 

"I know about your mistress. The opera singer Siena." Anthony froze. How did he know? "You continued to pursue my sister while you had her on your side. If this were to happen when you are only friends, how would it be if you were married? I shall not allow my sister to go through that. Not now, not in the future, not ever!"

Anthony sighed. He knew his past would come and haunt him. "I stopped everything with her ever since she left town months ago. That was when I was serious about your sister."

"Tell me Anthony, if Miss Siena didn't leave town would you have stopped?" Anthony didn't say anything. That was a great question that the he didn't think of. Would have he have stopped? He would like to think so. The amount of times he saw the opera singer after, he didn't do anything about it. Only stares were exchanged. But he would always go back to Lillie. When Anthony failed to answer, Jasper got the answer he needed. "I believe I got the answer I needed."

"Jasper..."

"You may leave now."

✄-----------------------------

sigh... JASPER YOU HAD ONE JOB ONE FREAKING JOB