Chapter Fifty

Freddy banged on the door even though he knew it wouldn't open. "Ugh, these- these animatronics are ruining everything."
Slowly, he slid down and leaned against the door. There was a still silence filling the atmosphere. Suddenly, the door slammed open but shut as quickly as it had opened. Freddy scrambled to his feet, and there stood Chica. 

"Chica!?" Freddy's voice cracked a bit. 
Chica glared at him and locked the door. In her hand was a key. She held the key up and ate it. Freddy stared at her with deep concern. "Neither of us is leaving until you tell me what's going on," she declared.
"I don't have to do anything!" Freddy crossed his arms and turned away. 

"Freddy," Chica put a hand on his shoulder. Her voice seemed... softer. "I know you meant it when you said you did this to protect us. What happened? Are you okay?"
Freddy glanced at her, but when he met her eyes, he quickly looked back away. Chica stepped toward him. "Freddy, I can't help if I don't know what's going on. I'm... asking as a friend."

That made Freddy turn to her. "Friend? You're- you're still willing to be my friend? After everything I did?"
Chica gave a small nod with a smile. But Freddy didn't believe it. "No, no. I find it hard to believe you came back all the way just for me."
"Well, believe it," Chica replied, shrugging. 
"No, there's no way you'd be my friend again. Your friends wouldn't ever agree," Freddy turned away, looking at the ground.

"Well, they don't decide my choices, do they?" Chica smiled. 
Freddy looked at her. And for a quick moment, they held eye contact. Then Chica sighed and sat down by the door. She patted the ground next to her and Freddy went over to sit by her. After they were both settled, Chica asked slowly, "So, willing to tell me what's wrong?"

Freddy glanced at her and gave a small nod. "I guess..."
"Go on then. I'm listening," Chica forced herself to clear her mind and listen.