Chapter 60

Hayden

I kept my men glued to following Clara ever since Arnaldo had his warning down. He would lay hands on her at any instant, and if I missed a move, she would be gone. He clearly had plans to take me down too. I already had it laid out if he dared to come near me.

"Hayden Winston," I answered when I received a phone call.

"King Hayden," one of my security guards, Emerson, spoke. His voice echoed through the speakers in my car. "We were following behind Queen Clara, but we lost her."

"What the fuck?"

I was so fucking pissed and ordered them to search for her. I switched path, heading down to Tarrin as fast as I could. My feet pressed down on the accelerator to speed through the streets. I instantly slammed the breaks once I saw a mysterious car on an empty highway.

I tried to back up when I knew some shit was starting, but two men already blocked my pathway from behind. They raised their arms, and I spotted the guns in their hands. As soon as they fired, I ducked down, shielding myself from the broken glass fragments.

The car door swung open. Someone pulled me out of my car and threw me to the ground. I couldn't move an inch when they stared punching and kicking at me, causing me to groan in pain. The pressure was right against my bones and muscles, taking every strength I had. I did what I could to block their movements, but they were coming at me with full force.

I took the little time to fight back, colliding my fist to their jaws. Even if they had three people against me, I still managed to take them down. They could barely keep up with my pace. Before I could pull another punch, one of them pressed a gun straight to my forehead.

"Who the fuck are you?" I snarled.

They were wearing masks, and it was hard to identify them. The only thing that was clear was that Arnaldo could be behind this bullshit. He was trying everything to not leave any traces.

"If you don't follow us, then we will have your little sweetheart killed," the man in front of me warned coldly.

"You have Clara?" I furrowed my brows.

"It's your choice, Hayden Winston. It's either sweet Clara or no one."

Clara

Going through each day without Xander took time to get used to. Zelia and Isabella kept me company, but I found it weird to not have a little boy with me. I thought about how it would be if I was back at Imperos, but I shook my head at the thought, removing it away from my mind.

I finished at the bakery late at night for one of the wealthy costumers. Once they picked up their order from the store, I went to close for the night. Adam had to rush home because Julian fell sick, and I assured him it would be okay for me to be alone.

I made sure that everything was turned off before I went to shut the lights. I locked the door then made my way home. Along the way, I decided to take the walk around the riverside. Each time I was bothered with my thoughts, taking a walk near the river calmed my mind. It was the sound of the waves that was slow and soothing.

I kicked the pebbles on the ground, but I suddenly felt uneasy. It was like someone was trailing behind me with each step. When I turned around, I only found an empty street. I hurried my steps home, my heart loudly thudding through my chest.

The footsteps sound behind me turn louder. I decided to run, but before I could make it into the public crowd, I was stopped by a masked man. I halted and took several steps back. I screamed for help while heading the other way.